Monday, August 16, 2010

Jam, Jelly and Church

On Sunday I was determined to make grape jelly and raspberry jam.  I followed the recipe from here for the grape jelly and although I was concerned that the jelly wasn't going to set, it has set.  I had 5 cups of grape juice, and added 4 cups of sugar, as I prefer a sweeter jelly; it made 6, 1/2 pints (250ml), plus the small glass dish.  It tastes fine, and I will try some on toast for my breakfast. 


I made two batches of raspberry jam; so got 7 pint (500ml) jars and 3, 1/2 pint (250ml) jars from them.  I was surprised it made that much, but also glad, as I have had hardly any raspberries this year growing on my bushes.

On Sunday for supper we had "roast" chicken, mashed potatoes, and fried zucchini and onions.  All the veggies were from our garden.  I "roasted" the chicken in the crockpot.  I love cooking a whole chicken in the crockpot, as it makes for a very moist chicken.  I place the whole chicken in the crockpot, add whatever seasoning you want, and cook it on low for at least 8 to 10 hours.  You don't need to add water as there is plenty in the chicken.  It just falls of the bone as its that tender.

I was greeter at church on Sunday.  As our Vicar is on vacation for the month of August, we had a replacement vicar do the service.  It was quite funny as I have a feeling this guy was retired, so relished the opportunity of giving a long winded sermon from the pulpit!!!  Which is all well and good normally, but we don't have air conditioning in the church and as it was close to 40 oC with the humidity, I wasn't the only one who was wilting in the heat.  Then, he totally confused the heck out of us with the order of service; I was totally lost at one point.  So I have decided to skip services for the rest of this month, until it cools down a bit.  It's no fun sitting in a church in that heat, with no fans or a/c.

16 comments:

Caroline said...

Sounds like you've been very busy Gill. The Grape Jelly sounds good. Pity to hear about the Raspberries you had so many last year.
Caroline

MyBulletinBoard said...

You are so industrious!. . . . .. Now that we know the blackberries actually work, guess I'm going to have to figure out jelly-making for next year.

I can't imagine no A/C in church. They don't even build buildings for no A/C here. It would be horrible! The seniors would be dropping like flies. The middles night, too.

Liz, The Republic

JohnD said...

I use my crockpot all the time, in fact I have a chuck steak casserole with bacon, turnip, peas and onion on at present. I cheat and use a proprietry 'sauce mix' to spice my casseroles up.

I've also done a whole chicken in the pot and find it great.

Tracey said...

I have never done a chicken in the crock pot, doesn't it turn out insipid looking? I must try it. xxx

Stella Jones said...

You have done very well with your jam making. It all looks delicious. I have heard of people using grape juice as a sweetener instead of sugar and I was told it makes the jam set very well too. I haven't tried it though. I hate having to reheat the jam to make it set.
My favourite is gooseberry.
Blessings, Star

Anonymous said...

Your jam and jelly looks great!!! What raspberry jam recipe did you use? Have you ever tried the the one made with honey? Judy

Gill - That British Woman said...

Judy,

I use light Certo, and use the cooked jam recipe on the insert.

Gill

Stephanie V said...

I love grape jelly! And a crock pot is one of the most useful inventions, isn't it?

I had a giggle about your retired vicar. I think that's probably true...it certainly has been my experience. Guess they have to get those good thoughts out into the world somehow.

Karine said...

Ah yes, churches with no AC!we have to work in one here, although the office building I work in does have AC as some of the fathers and brothers live in here, but for the summer tour guides, it's pretty bad when it gets hot out, especially since we have that hall with 10 000 candles in it on the first floor. It's right next to the Crypt Church, so the keep all the windows and doors open to get some air in there. The Basilica usually stays cool for quite a while though, since it has very thick granite walls and gets no heat from the candles.

You jelly and jam looks lovely, I'm happy for you that you got so much jam out of your berries since you were concerned you would hardly get any!

Thanks for you comment on my blog, I am feeling better today, especially since having a talk with one of my male colleagues.

Shey said...

Wow, the jams looks yummy. You've been very busy. Good for you.

I've never tried roasting chicken in the crockpot. I will definitely try that now. Thanks! :)

Lib said...

You sure are busy!
Jam,Jelly looks yummy!
Blessins',Lib

~Kim at Golden Pines~ said...

Hi Gill! I'm glad that your jelly turned out, I love homemade jam on just about everything from toast to ice cream!! ~Enjoy~

I would probably think about staying home from church too--There's nothing like a hot church and a long winded person together...

Teresa said...

I must say the jam and jelly look so delicious!

Rose said...

The chicken in the crockpot is an idea...I had never thought of it.

The jam and jelly looks good! Doesn't it feel good to do stuff like this?

Leiani said...

That jam looks amazing. I wish I had time to make it myself. Maybe one day! Can't believe that now you're the one having 40oC days, whilst here were having a relatively cool 15oC. I can't wait for spring and summer, I much prefer the heat to the cold.

The Witch said...

Gill
Glad your jelly turned out so well.
I hope you enjoy it as much as we do.
I'll be making mine in about another 2-3 weeks as our grapes are still green. I just hope I get to them before the birds.

{{{SIGH}}}

Tuesday was a mixed bag type of day. Had the appliance repair guy come again to install another circuit board in the fridge.  When hubby got...