Friday, April 16, 2010

Parents can be so cruel and a recipe....

Here is my column for this week in the Orangeville Banner, I talk about me being a "NIMFY," not a "NIMBY!"

I got this in my inbox on Thursday. You named your baby what?


This is a list of the worst baby names given to actual kids living in the United States:
  • •Uranus Stukey


    •Ghoul Nipple


    •Acne Fountain


    •Lust T. Castle


    •Mary A. Jerk


    •Ima Whore


    •Mutton Bucker


    •Hugh Jass


    •Fanny Whiffer


    •Tackle Feigenbutz


    •Envy Burger


    •Bum Snoddy


    •Mule E. McCart


    •Lard Mooney


    •Good Hell


    •Emma Royd


    •Noble Butt


    •Naught E. Bishop


    •Stud Duck
I'm sorry but that is just plain cruel calling your child one of those names, don't you think?
 
So I had some rhubarb in the freezer and some sour cream in the fridge that needed using up.  I googled for a recipe and came up with:
 
Sour Cream Rhubarb Squares
 
Ingredients:
 
1/2 cup white sugar
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
3/4 cup chopped nuts OR oatmeal
1 tbsp. butter
 
Rub all those ingredients together and put aside, that's the topping.
 
1/2 cup vegetable shortening, like Crisco (for the British and others, its like lard but vegetable based, not animal based)
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups flour
1 1/2 tsp baking soda (bicarb)
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup sour cream
1 1/2 cups rhubarb, chopped.
 
Mix the shortening and brown sugar in a mixer until well beaten and light.  Add the egg and vanilla, mix well.  Sieve, flour, baking soda and salt.  Add a little bit of flour mix in, then add some sour cream, then flour etc.  Fold in the rhubarb.
 
Place in a greased and lined 9" x 13" baking pan, and then sprinkle on the topping mix.
 
Bake in a preheated 350oF oven for 50 minutes or until done.
 
I have to say this is not how the recipe read when I downloaded it.  The instructions were terrible and it didn't break down what to do when.  Thank goodness I bake!!  Mind you I am getting good at deciphering recipes through inputting the recipes for the church recipe book.  Luckily I had the foresight to ask everyone to put their name and telephone number on the recipes, as I have had to ask questions on some of them!!
 
I doubled the recipe with no problems and made it with my Kitchen Aid mixer.  So there is one for us and one for the neighbour!!
 
 

This is the neighbours one!!  So fingers crossed he likes it!
So in the interest of all the people who read my blog, I cut myself a piece to try it!



I am pleased to report that it is very good and nice and moist!  Gosh the things I do for you guys!  Oh and the neighbour's liked it as well!!

Did you remember to put your money in your Daily Savings Pot?  We are half way through the month already!!

Today's Money Saving Tip:

Mulch. Collect pine cones when ever you see them lying around and either use them as they are or I like to break them up into smaller pieces, which gives a similar look to bark chippings.

11 comments:

Lakeland Jo said...

Good grief. Those names. I am not sure that would be allowed here- what do you think Gill? I know folk name kids after football players, but I wonder if actually cruel names like that would be allowed. Awful.

Christina, Sweden said...

looks very good, wish I was your neighbour !! I would surely like the countryside as well :-)

Christina

Strawberry Jam Anne said...

I agree Gill - awful names. The rhubarb recipe looks good. A

MyBulletinBoard said...

Hey, good neighbor! That rhubarb creation looks delicious. . . . . . I tried to read your Banner article, but I got a file error. Rats!

Liz, Republic of Texas

Grumpy Old Ken said...

We once had a teacher called Albert Hall. Didn't last long. Plus a lad called Bates who teacher insisted on calling Master Bates. Wouldn't be allowed now!

QuiltedSimple said...

oh that looks yummy! i have a bunch of rhubarb frozen from lst year that I could make this with. thanks for the recipe
kris

Lib said...

I can't imagine naming a kid those names!lol
Hope you have a great wk.end!
Blessins',Lib

Karine said...

Those are indeed some pretty bad baby names! A few other women from my choir and I were talking about bad baby names before our concert last month, since one of them is expecting her first baby and two others were teachers the the hands down winner for the worst name was Point Virgule, or in english, Semi Comma. Yup, the kid's family name was Virgule, or Comma, so his parents named him Point, which translates literally to Period, but in this case let's call him Semi to fit with Comma and emphasize the ridiculousness of the situation...

SandyCarlson said...

That was a ridiculous set of names, to be sure. Wow. The recipes sound good, though!

bubble said...

no way...awful names!!!!

Recipe sounds delicious! xxx

Tracey said...

After I finished laughing I realised how awful the whole situation was! There are some bloody stupid people in this world...xxx

{{{SIGH}}}

Tuesday was a mixed bag type of day. Had the appliance repair guy come again to install another circuit board in the fridge.  When hubby got...