Tuesday, August 31, 2021

Couple of funny things..

I posted this on my Facebook page last week:

It seems I may be a bad influence???

Liam was talking to his dad and they must have started talking about the pond by our house.
Liam (who is 3): "and there was a bloody great big snapping turtle in the pond, dad."
Dad: "who told you that?"
Liam: "Nana."
Liam: "and snapping turtles bite people, dad."
Dad: "and who told you that?"
Liam: "Nana."
Funny thing is, I remember saying that to Liam, as I got the shock of my life to see a "bloody great big snapping turtle" in the pond...LOL

It also seems I am not the only one in the family that uses the word "daft."

Paige called her mother daft the other day.....oops!

Also we pronounce the word GARAGE - GARIDGE. Nora now pronounces it garidge and Liam is forever correcting me and telling me it's GARAGE not garidge.

Oh the joys of having a British accent. We have lived in Canada now over 32 years now. Dh, I and both kids have all now lived longer in Canada than the UK.

11 comments:

angela said...

Oh no nana. I hope you didn’t get into trouble lol
That is funny. We have to watch what we say now as melody and Brianna
Are both like sponges

Maggie said...

🤣🤣
And we say Garige too.

T'Pol said...

Oh that is so cute! I must admit I had adopted a couple of things from my grandma too. To me that is a badge of honor and continuation of family culture. Lol!

Karen said...

Love it!

Margie from Toronto said...

You have to be soowooo careful - they remember and repeat everything! :-)

So glad to see you posting again and to know that you are well and surviving.

Gemma's person said...

Question Now that you have lived longer in Canada than the UK...are you now FROM Canada?

Maria said...

Love it! I’m an Aussie and when our youngest spent 3 years working in Canada 5 years ago, she said the locals constantly told her they couldn’t understand her with her Aussie accent. 😜 When we visited her she insisted we try poutine…oh dear…’heart attack on a plate’ lol!
In the 1970s a lot of Aussie teachers went to work in Canada, often on exchange. A friend said her class of Canadian children looked blankly at her when she used the term, ‘see-saw’, but they soon put her right! ‘It’s a teeter totter’ Miss’! So we still occasionally call them that now when I take the grandies to the playground.

Jackie said...

Love. My friend came from Yorkshire and her Mom would always call me "Love" when I would phone to talk to Angela. I found myself doing the same when I would answer the phone at home.

God bless.

William Kendall said...

I hae always liked the words bloody and daft.

Winifred said...

You do have to be so careful with grandchildren.
We say "garridge" too, is it a Northern pronunciation?

Doesn't everyone use "daft"? We always used the expression "daft as a brush" I still do, but no idea why a brush is the comparison.

Rose said...

Nothing like grandkids to show us what we do...sometimes I think they are as much a reflection of us as our chldren.

{{{SIGH}}}

Tuesday was a mixed bag type of day. Had the appliance repair guy come again to install another circuit board in the fridge.  When hubby got...