Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Received a telephone call on Monday......

and that totally upset all the plans I had for the week.  The telephone call was from the surgeons office and someone had cancelled their appointment for surgery on Tuesday and did I want the appointment.  After a quick phone call to dh to see if he could drive me to and from hospital on Tuesday I accepted the appointment.  So at 2pm today I will be having my right hand operated on.  It only takes around half an hour, and I hope to be home by supper time.

Obviously I wasn't expecting this and it threw a bit of a monkey wrench into my plans for the day.  As you know my dh is very talented when it comes to renovations but the one thing he can't and won't do is cook.  So I pulled a few things out of the freezer and got busy making some meals.

Took me around 3 hours, but I got a bit done.  Below are two shepherd's pies, a bowl of rice, a bowl of mashed potatoes.  Two containers of liver, onion, mushrooms and bacon casserole, a lasagna and chicken and veggies in a mushroom Alfredo sauce.  All in all there are around nine meals there for the two of us.


I also made a big pot of ham and leek soup with a couple of ham hocks.  So probably another meal there and lunch for me for the week.
I must admit, I felt very blessed to be able to pull things out of the freezer and make enough meals to last more than a week in just a few hours.

As it's my right hand that is being operated on and I am right handed things won't be as easy to do.  In theory I won't be able to drive for at least a couple of weeks, but I'll play that by ear.  I will have my hand bandaged up for two weeks, and I haven't to do any heavy lifting for 6 weeks.  So no snow blowing for me!!!

I am hoping after a couple of days though to be able to type and to try and comment on everyone's blog.

12 comments:

Cath said...

Good luck with the surgery Gill , thinking of you .X

Boyett-Brinkley said...

Wow -- that certainly was an upset to your plans but at least your hand will be fixed. And all that food! It all looks lovely -- uh, maybe you need a nursemaid? Hahah! Take it easy Gil and you will be back on track before you know it.

Stella Jones said...

That's the carpel tunnel op you've mentioned, isn't it? I've had that done on both hands. I was cured afterwards! Wonderful. The worst thing was not being able to pull my knickers up properly! Right hand was the worst to deal with because like you I am right-handed. Good luck with it. I'm thinking of you.
All the best!

Jane and Chris said...

Thinking of you, Gill.
Jane x

Angela said...

all the best with the surgery - and great that it will be done before th enew year.

well done with all that cooking too

concerned by Start's comment tho - hope you have plenty of help with pulling up!!!

blessings xx

Jackie McGuinness said...

Good luck!!
I love Star's comment as well.

What goes into the liver casserole? I love liver.

angela said...

good luck Gill, I hope it all goes well for you.

Cindy@NorthofWiarton said...

A sister-in-law of mine had this surgery & she was very impressed with it. I am very impressed it only took you 3 hours to put all this food together, it would have taken me at least three days or more ! Take good care of your hand.

Buttons Thoughts said...

Oh Gill I had no idea, you sure are a smart women when it comes to planning. I hope all goes well I will be thinking of you. Your man is a lucky guy to have such a caring resourceful wife. Take care. B

Kaisievic said...

Hi Gill, Only just saw this post - good luck with your surgery and you are amazing - that is a lot of food cooked in a very short time. Well done!

Lots of healing hug coming your way from Oz,

Hug, Kaye xoxox

Rose said...

Was this for carpel tunnel? I am thinking I remember you mentioning it...hope it isn't painful. I saw the picture above. My husband had both done at the same time and I cannot remember if it hurt afterwards or not.

DON'T worry about my blog...I enjoy reading your blog and will continue to do so. Take it easy and do what the doc says.

And oh, yeah, you must be great in the kitchen...you just do so much. My husband can do about anything, but he does like to cook, as well.

~Carla~ said...

Wow! Look at all of that delicious food! Well done! Hope the surgery goes well & you're back home & healing before you knw it! :)

{{{SIGH}}}

Tuesday was a mixed bag type of day. Had the appliance repair guy come again to install another circuit board in the fridge.  When hubby got...