Thursday, August 5, 2010

Fresh Fruit Salad, it's a dessert, not a salad

I was taught from an early age how to cook and clean by my mam and my Nana.  When I was in Grammar (High) School I took Home Economics one year.  Total waste of time for me, as I had been cooking for years.  I remember one of the first things we had to make was scrambled eggs..........of course some people had no idea, so they were learning a lot.

One of the recipes we made was Fresh Fruit Salad, which is a dessert, not a salad.  I have made this many times over the years and is a great way of using up fruit.

Here is the recipe:

Fresh Fruit Salad

1 cup water
1/2 cup granulated sugar (4 oz)
juice of half lemon

Assorted fruit

Place water and sugar in a pan, and bring to boil; stirring until sugar has dissolved.  Cool.

When liquid has cooled, add lemon juice and chopped/sliced fruit of your choice.

I added, one apple, a jar of canned pears, a tin of mandarin oranges, a banana, some watermelon and a handful of seedless grapes.

Pineapple, strawberries, kiwi, and regular oranges are also good in it.  It's light and refreshing on a hot summer's day.  I like mine with Carnation Milk.

I didn't get as much done as I would have liked on Wednesday, as the humidity was just plain awful.  However, I got the closets primed inside.  A large load of laundry done.  Made dessert.  Did some cleaning and got some phone calls made.  So all was not lost.

8 comments:

JohnD said...

My Fruit salad is fresh fruit as in season but I prefer a piece of rockmelon peeled and chopped, 1/2 an orange peeled, quartered and chopped, 4 Strawberries chopped, Contents of one passion fruit, sprinkle 1/2 teaspoon of sugar over top, sprinkle with lime or lemon juice (shop bought is OK), mix well and serve chilled - have it every second morning for breakfast.

MyBulletinBoard said...

I told the ComputerSon that the goal this month was to survive August. So he says, what about September? I said, We'll look back and say, Whew! We survived August.

We're all in this together! Liz

~Kim at Golden Pines~ said...

I really enjoy fruit salads and this one looks really delicious!! I also took "Home Ec" in school and was ahead of some of the girls in the class too (boys never took the class, they took auto-mechanics) I couldn't understand how they didn't even know how to make biscuits! I wonder if they know how to now or do they think they just come right out of a can?

Stephanie V said...

Fresh fruit salad is a lovely treat. I usually just use whatever I have but I always want to have some blueberries in it.

I had the same experience with Home Ec since I could certainly cook and sew those ridiculously basic things we were 'taught'. A complete lesson on boiling eggs comes to mind!

JohnD said...

I never took Home Ec - my all boys school didn't even have it as an option (LOL) - but my mum taught me to cook and i like cooking, do it frequently.

I'm amazed at how many people who do 'cook' cannot poach an egg!

Blueberries are lovely but at present they are $4.50AUS for 100gms - too dear for me!

JudiB said...

Oh yummy..your right just right for a hot day. Thanks for posting will try it out.
Feels a little cooler already and looking forward to a nice cool weekend.
Enjoy..JudiB.

Teresa said...

I just love a fresh fruit salad, and your glaze looks like it would be perfect. I"ll have to try this one.

Teresa

Rose said...

Sounds delicious!

Something I really like in summer is tomatoes, cucumbers, onions, bell pepper, cauliflower anything else you might like cut in to small chunks and covered with Italian dressing. I like to let it soak for at least a couple hours...if you like tangy stuff this is really refreshing on a hot day.

{{{SIGH}}}

Tuesday was a mixed bag type of day. Had the appliance repair guy come again to install another circuit board in the fridge.  When hubby got...