Monday, January 12, 2009

I thought I'd give you a quick look at what I am working on....

I decided to try String Quilting I got the idea from Carol over at her blog Below are the 8 squares I did this afternoon. I am using muslin as my backing fabric as that is all I have. I am loving this though, it is so simple and it comes together really fast.


As you can see I have a big bag of scraps, and all the off cuts from the square I put in my new fabric box, just in case I need them.


Yesterday I did this table runner. I am not 100% happy with it, as I am not keen on the colours when I got them all together..........that's one joy about strip quilting, you don't have to think about what colours go with what. I will get it quilted later in the week, as it is a small project.

Finally I am doing another cross stitch project, this one is flowers and a couple of humming birds. I work on this on a night while I am watching tv, as I like to do my quilting through the day as the light is brighter.


So as you can see I have been a busy bee.
As always click on the photos to see more detail.

17 comments:

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Such talent, Gill. I love the colors in your quilting projects.
Hugs,
Betsy

Caroline said...

Love your strip quilt I like the fact the colours are so random.
Have a lovely evening
Caroline

Scrappy quilter said...

Heh, girlfriend, don't you just love string quilting. It works up quickly, uses up so many scraps and oh the colors when all together. I'm so proud of you.
Can't wait to see the quilt when done.

You have indeed been busy. Great job!!

Carol

Unknown said...

Hi Gill,
That's very pretty. The Scrappy Quilter's instructions are amazing. Thank you for showing it.
Your quilt is beautiful. What is the quilt's size you are aiming at?
I also like very much your humming birds.

Yvonne said...

Just gorgeous. Looks like you're having fun.

Strawberry Jam Anne said...

Lovely work Gill - you are a clever lady. A x

Gill - That British Woman said...

thanks for all your lovely comments,

Gill

Twisted Fencepost said...

The quilting pieces are beautiful! One of these days I'm gonna try quilting. One of these days.....

George said...

Gill, you are one talented, busy lady!

Niki said...

You have been busy! I will look for the tutorial on the produce bags, I'm sure it will be helpful
blessings,
Niki

The Southern Mom said...

Wow...you've got a lot of projects going on! I love the quilt projects. I've never done a sting quilt before...it's gorgeous! Love the colors!

Rudee said...

Beautiful work Gill.

Anonymous said...

Oh how I wish I could quilt!!! Fancy teaching me? Maybe if I get to move to the remote island I will finally figure it out!

Winifred said...

The colours are lovely. You seem to get so much done.

Keep us up to date with what you're doing, it's great to see them.

BNS said...

Looks like a very ambitious project, and it looks beautiful.

Stephanie D said...

I love string quilts! I'm working on one for DD right now, also backed with muslin, but didn't have enough of the center strip (which she really wanted) to make it as large as I needed. So now, to keep it even weight, I will have to sew the borders onto muslin backings and sew them all together. Thank goodness, batting is not needed with a string quilt!

Unknown said...

Very lovely. I want to learn how to quilt. Right now I'll have to be satisfied getting back inot cross stitching.

{{{SIGH}}}

Tuesday was a mixed bag type of day. Had the appliance repair guy come again to install another circuit board in the fridge.  When hubby got...