Saturday, February 15, 2014

Sharing some more news......

So after spending the last few months going through open houses and even having Sarah show us some houses one afternoon we have decided to buy a brand spanking new home directly from the builder.  Sarah took the news very well, as we were very worried about telling her, as she doesn't earn any commission when we buy direct from the builder ourselves.

The reason we are going down the new home route is that we couldn't find anything we were totally happy with.  Each one had an issue, some were minor, some weren't.  So we bit the bullet and despite the fact that we swore we were never going through the new build saga again, we are.

This builder is different in the way he does things and is totally hands on.  The finishes are very high quality and are to our liking.  We haven't gone firm on it yet, as we can't until we have a firm offer on our house, but we have an appointment next week to go through what we do want and any extras we want to add.

When we finalized the price on Friday night, we even got to pick out the brick of the house, as it is all framed and windows are in etc.  I will admit it is all going way faster than we anticipated and today (Saturday) we are having to go out and figure out what appliances I want to put in the kitchen as they need the specifications so they will fit in the kitchen.

It is my 50th birthday next month and dh keeps bugging me about what I would like.  I don't want anything, but that's not good enough.  So I told him I want top of the line appliances in this house and this will do for my birthday.  I am very happy with that.  I am looking at the Frigidaire Professional Series of appliances in stainless steel in the kitchen and the Maytag Maxima series in white for the washer and dryer.  If anyone has any experience with either of these brands please share.

I will talk more and more about this as the months go on, but so far it's early days.  I will share pictures and house plans etc, in the following weeks.  Please say a few prayers that the folk who have the offer on our house sell theirs soon.

17 comments:

EG CameraGirl said...

Sounds awesome!

Evelyn said...

praying your dream becomes reality soon

Boyett-Brinkley said...

This is exciting! Makes me want to do it all over again but I can't so I will have to live vicariously through you. Eight years ago we bought new construction and while we purchased before it was finished, most everything done so all I got to pick out was some carpet. It was fun, though, and I would love to do it again. You will have a great time -- especially with those high end appliances!

Jane and Chris said...

Gill, you hate stainless steel!!
Jane x

Gill - That British Woman said...

Jane I know but this is smudge proof stainless steel.........well so they reckon?

T'Pol said...

How exciting!
Hope all goes well with teh sale of your current home.

Rose said...

Will for sure say some prayers for your house selling and things going smoothly. Can't wait to see what you share with us about the new home to be.

Boopnut said...

Good luck with your new home!
Deb

William Kendall said...

It seems that progress is being made nicely for you!

Jackie McGuinness said...

I'm enjoying following your saga. Having downsized and making lifestyle changes a year ago it is fun watching someone doing the same.

I always said no stainless steel but have to admit they have grown on me as they came with the condo.

barbara woods said...

that's wonderful, can't wait to see house plans

Out My window said...

I am so excited for you. But I loved your old house.

Joolz said...

Thats really exciting for you! So, the house is partially built - that will save heaps of time. All going to plan, how long before it will be finished?
I've heard my hubby say that Maytag is a good brand. Hotels use them as they do a industrial range and are tough.

I look forward to your progress reports.

DeniseinVA said...

That sounds wonderful Gill, good luck with selling your house and moving into the brand new one. Looking forward to reading more as time goes on.

Veronica Roth said...

Hello fellow Brit and Canadian blogger. I'm new to your blog but I see you're after buying a new house! Sounds like a dream come true. I've never owned a new house; always an old one. This house in Vancouver is a 100 yr old Craftsman cottage and the house in E is a 1950s university use built cottage converted to a home. Wonder what it would be like to actually have a new house where you get to chose the space and colours and materials. Bet you'll love it. Off to read more posts and find out more about you. :)

bonsaimum said...

Good luck. I hope the other people sell their house quickly.

Holly Hollyson @ Full of Beans and Sausages said...

Sometimes I think that it would just be the easiest thing to do - get a new build. Older houses always have character, but always have things that go wrong with them - case in point, our apartment. Leaky roof, bad wiring, old kitchen and bathroom. But it does have plenty of charm that is all it's own!

Hotel Stay

First of all thank you for all your birthday wishes.  Each and every one of them was greatly appreciated.  The kids bought me/us an overnigh...