Thursday, February 20, 2014

Like a kid in a candy store.......

That is what I will be like this afternoon, as we are going to the new builders to pick out our fixtures and fittings for our new home.  I will say the whole process is a bit different as we haven't firmed up on the purchases of this house, but as the kitchen takes 90 days to order and if we want to close on June 16th, I guess they want us to get on with it.  

Now my goal is to spend as little as possible in upgrades.  We have already spent $1,100 on a jetted tub/bath in the ensuite, but to my mind that is a must with my back issues.  Dh said he may even have a bath and I know dd will have a bath when she comes over, as she loves the bath with jets in.

I do know I want a pots and pan set of drawers in the kitchen, so that will be an upgrade.  We are getting granite counter tops already as part of the deal.  I am not sure what else I will end up getting other than maybe more tiles in the bathroom around the tub???

I am trying to think back to the last new house we bought and what we had to upgrade then.  We spent close to $30,000 then but we did a lot of structural things that no one could really see, plus we had to pay for hardwood floors and we upgraded the tiles.  I am hoping to come in under $5,000 this time.  What upgrades would you choose in a house?

I am lucky as dh is very handy so we will do a lot of stuff ourselves after we move in; for example the back splash in the kitchen.

No news from the people buying our house, but don't expect to hear anything until next week.

I have posted a couple of book reviews on my Book Review Blog if anyone is interested?  You can read about them here: http://thatbritishwomansbookreviewblog.blogspot.ca/


5 comments:

T'Pol said...

Have fun shopping! It must be very exciting to move to a brand new home. I can't wait for pictures!

Boyett-Brinkley said...

If we had been earlier in getting our house I would have changed some things. We have travertine floors and I would have opted for wood floors because the travertine is killing my feet/knees. I wouldn't have gotten the jetted tub because they are a pain to keep clean and I would have changed up the kitchen -- I would have done without the microwave and had double ovens or I would have had a free standing, high end professional stove and just more cabinets. Other than that, I wouldn't change a thing! I can't wait to see photos!

William Kendall said...

I think a fireplace would be essential in what I'd be looking for.

Country Gal said...

Sounds like fun . I would upgrade the kitchen more then anything but no granet counter tops for me as the pros on HG TV the two bothers and the big guy Mike Holmes say they are hard to keep maintained and looking good and most builders don't use them any more in Canada . My in laws have a jet tub and they are changing it cause it is pain in the butt to clean especially if you have hard water . But hey as long as your happy with everything who is to say what about what eh ? Still fun stuff to pick out though ! Thanks for sharing . Have a good day !

Rose said...

Do you always know just what you want, or is there ever indecisive times. Just in putting in a new sink and faucet this past summer was hard for me to choose.

{{{SIGH}}}

Tuesday was a mixed bag type of day. Had the appliance repair guy come again to install another circuit board in the fridge.  When hubby got...