Tuesday, March 9, 2010

A recipe, another quilt block and other "stuff"

A while back I was visiting Dawn's blog and saw this recipe for Crock Pot Goulash and thought it sounded good.

Crock Pot Goulash


4-5 potatoes, peeled & chopped in bottom of crock pot

1 med. onion, chopped

1-2 sliced carrots

Corn

Peas

1 lb. hamburger

Salt & pepper

1 can tomato soup

Starting with potatoes layer vegetables in crock pot. (You may use frozen vegetables but you will need to add about 1/2 cup water.) Place raw hamburger on top of vegetables and top with the tomato soup. Cook on high 4-5 hours or low 6-8 hours.

We had it for supper on Monday night and you know what it was good.  Such a simple recipe and one we will have again.

I am determined this week to get a bit of sewing done.  I even have a list:

Balkan Puzzle Block Cream, Pink and Brown

Balkan Puzzle Block Black, white and red - complete and quilted

Apron for fundraiser/competition

Complete English Paper Pieced table runner

Make a skirt for myself

I have a couple of things done, so it's a start.

Below is the completed Black, white and red block.........



When over at Expat Mum's blog she had this video posted.  First read the story, then play the video.

Be ready to shed a few tears:



By the way I have got writers block I have no idea what to write for my column this next week, any suggestions?

Did you remember to put your money in your Daily Savings Pot today?

Today's money savings tip:

Make a No-Sew Fleece Poncho for your child, here is the link

14 comments:

Jo said...

the recipie sounds good.

sewing - I've just started a table runner to add to my ever-growing list!

writers block - mmm, perhaps remind people who read without taking in all the details, why, because at the moment I'm selling three garden ponds on ebay which are collection only and I've already had three e-mails asking can I post them! grrr!
Josie x

Grumpy Old Ken said...

One heck of a blog. Video very moving.
When I was school teaching, if I was stuck, I used to set an essay entitled 'I remember'. Just an idea.

~Kim at Golden Pines~ said...

I made scalloped potatoes and ham last week in the crockpot and this also sounds like perfect "comfort food!" THANKS for the idea and recipe!
It's nice to check things off a list! :-)

Evelyn said...

hi sorry i have been mia lately, the link to the blog wasn't working

Chicken Boys said...

OMG!! I so love that black, white and red block quilt! It is gorgeous! The goulash looks pretty good too. But not on the quilt! :)
~Randy

MyBulletinBoard said...

Say! That goulash sounds good. "I like simple."

Writer's block: You might imagine you have just gotten on the phone with one of your readers. What's on your mind?

Liz, in the springy Republic

Scrappy quilter said...

Your block looks wonderful. It's raining here today so hopefully our snow will go in the next few weeks. We have tons of it to melt, that's for sure. Hugs

Kim said...

A question about your quilt blocks...if you quilt as you go, how do you later join them together? Where do the seams go? I'm confused.

DeniseinVA said...

Very moving video and yes I shed a few tears.

Thanks for a great post.

Strawberry Jam Anne said...

Goulash sounds delicious Gill. Ideas for column - what about the comparisons of weather between UK and Canada and how we cope. A

The Pink Birdhouse said...

That recipe sounds good! I am always on the look out for a new recipe to make and feed this family of mine! I get tired of the same things. Love the quilt block! I have heard that quilting takes patience and tiny stitches. You did a great job! I read in your header that you dog Molly has all kinds of allergies, so does our Cody. And believe it or not, he is allergic to grass, of all things, AND even better, to other dogs!! We have to be careful what we feed him, where he walks, etc. Who could have known!!

Maude Lynn said...

The block is gorgeous!

mommanator said...

gonna try the recipe today!

Karine said...

You quilt block is gorgeous and that recipe left me craving some of my mom's goulash. Yum!

Hotel Stay - Dinner

As part of our hotel stay the kids had booked us dinner, breakfast and afternoon tea. Here is what we ate at dinner.  Everything was spot on...