Sunday, March 14, 2010

When your eyes are greedier than your stomach.............

that's how I feel everytime I go out for a meal at a place where there is a buffet.  We were out with the kids on Saturday night to celebrate my birthday........it's not until Monday, but this was the best time for us all to get together.  So dd booked us a table at the Mandarin Restaurant, for those of you who live in the GTA (Toronto area) we went to the one on Weston Road, south of Rutherford.  We normally go to the Brampton location, but this one on Weston Road was sort of central for everyone.....well except us!!

It's a Chinese restaurant, but it has a full range of Canadian food, which is great for dh, as he is not fond of Chinese food.  Of course when you are paying $23.99, or it could have been more, I'm not sure.  You of course want to get your money's worth, so of course back and forward we all go.  I must say I go prepared, wearing a pair of elasticated pants, a baggy shirt and comfy shoes!!!

I have a sweet tooth, and am a sucker for creme caramel however they also had creme brulee, so of course I had to sample both to make sure they were okay for everyone else to eat.  They have some sort of mango pudding/jelly thingy which is to die for.

Now all the staff were of oriental descent, which makes sense right?  What didn't make sense was they all had "western" names and all spoke with a "thick" oriental accent?  Just an observation, that's all.

It poured down for most of Saturday, good weather for ducks, bad weather for doggies who don't like going out in the rain.......no need to say any more.........

On the way home from the restaurant the snow plow was spreading salt on the road near our home, which confused us, as the temperature was supposed to be above freezing all weekend.  As long as it doesn't snow, I don't really care.  I keep checking my flower gardens daily to see any sign of spring bulbs but nothing yet......

Did you remember to put your money in your Daily Savings Pot today?

Today's money saving tip:

Don’t buy drinks in restaurants and bars – water with lemon is free

8 comments:

Tracey said...

That's the trouble with buffets....I'm the same! A very happy birthday for tomorrow Gill! xxx

DeniseinVA said...

Happy Birthday for Monday Gill. Sounds like you all had a great time.

Leiani said...

Glad to hear you had a lovely birthday dinner with your family Gill. Many happy returns for Monday. Leiani

Anonymous said...

"I had to sample both to make sure they were okay for everyone else to eat"

Teehee at last - I've found a kindred spirit who understands this VERY important principle!

Karine said...

I'm glad you enjoyed your birthday outing! Happy birthday for tomorrow, I hope you have an amazing day!

As for Chinese buffets, I never, ever eat at them because I am incredibly allergic to MSG and buffets are the worst places for the stuff. Before I discovered my allergy, I always left those restaurants with blinding migraines and had to go straight home to bed...

MyBulletinBoard said...

Sounds like a wonderful dinner. Glad you were able to spend it with family.

We are still watching for our crocus to come up, but nothing, yet. Maybe they are worried about more snow, too. DH is planting spinach this afternoon. Can hardly wait!

Liz, in the Republic of Texas

Anonymous said...

As a French woman (still am!), I must say I'm not a buffet person. I can't eat much, I tend to eat a little bit here and there. So either I feel bad in buffets because I don't have room to taste as many things as I'd like to taste, either I feel a bit grossed out bu the whole thing. Too much food!

Happy birthday!

Guimauve said...

Gill - Guimauve here from PH :-)
Happy birthday!

I live near a big city, obviously with a number of Oriental communities...by me, it is very common for Orientals, and a lot of Asians too, to take a western name to use socially. Personally I feel it is a very sad trend, but then again I am not bent on the melting pot way of life...

Hotel Stay - Dinner

As part of our hotel stay the kids had booked us dinner, breakfast and afternoon tea. Here is what we ate at dinner.  Everything was spot on...