Wednesday, March 10, 2010

This week's column and other "stuff"

Here is a link to this week's column on the Eden Valley Messenger. If you feel like it, leave a comment, I'd really appreciate it.  The photo is of a sunset, not a sunrise at the end of the column.....

I had a busy day on Tuesday, doing all sorts of bits and bobs.  Below are some seeds I am starting.  On the left of the photo are four sections of the egg carton with White Spruce seeds.  I have no idea where I got the seeds from.  However I don't know if they will take, as I soaked them for twenty four hours and only three of them sank in the water.

On the other end of the egg carton I planted some marigolds.  I know I am a little early with them, but thought I'd give it a go.
I got a bit of a shock on Tuesday.  I was taking out the ashes in the morning, and had to empty the metal garbage bin I put them in.  So I walked over the snow (photo below), to throw them by the fence.  Luckily I had my wellies on, as the snow turned out to be as high as the top of my wellies.  What shocked me more, was my feet sunk in the snow and my body kept going, so I ended up flat on my face in the snow!!  The weather has been gorgeous these past few days, but there is still a lot of snow still to melt.

I managed to make a start on my apron, but have found a couple of more projects to complete now, so I guess I will be sewing next week as well!

When dh came home from work, we also installed the closet organizer so I will be spending Wednesday filling it with all our clothes.   I will post photos of it on Thursday.

Did you remember to put your money in your Daily Savings Pot?

Today's money saving tip:

Tips to make your fresh cuts flowers last longer:

1. Flowers always keep best when cut under running water with a sharp (un-serrated knife). Make the cut in the stem at a slant.

2. Before placing your flowers in a vase, be sure to remove any leaves that would be under water, but avoid removing any thorns (from Roses) as this shortens the life of your rose.

3. Prematurely Wilted roses are a result of air bubbles and/or bacteria. To prevent air-bubbles simply cut a new stem (under running water and at a slant).

4. Warm or Cold Water? Lukewarm is best for most cut flowers, but use Cold water for any flowers resulting from Bulbs such as tulips, hyacinths, etc.

5. Think your cut flowers look nice on your table with your fruit bowl? Think again! Fruit releases a natural gas that will cause your flowers to "age" and thus die sooner.

6. Keep Away from Direct Sunlight

All tips from this site

I know I have mentioned this a couple of times, but I am loving Swagbucks.  I just cashed in my points again on Tuesdays night for another $5 Amazon e-card.  That will be $40 worth of Amazon e-card I have received since the end of November.  If you want to know more just let me know, as its so easy to do.

7 comments:

Fee, UK said...

Hi Gill,
I've been reading you for months now and felt I have to delurk so to speak - you live in a similar set up to us so a lot of your struggles are like ours, minus the snow as we live in Somerset! I even know all about Eden Valley! Surely you have hundreds of readers I bet, anyway I've decided to delurk, but no reply needed. Just wanted to say a big thank you.
Fee, UK

Gill - That British Woman said...

Fee,

thanks for leaving me a comment I totally appreciate it when people comment on what I write about.....thanks to each and everyone of you who pop by!

Gill

MyBulletinBoard said...

Watch out for that snow!! Yikes!

Found a language lesson for you on another blog this morning. Thought of you right off. As follows:
1. Remember, 'Y'all' is singular, 'all y'all' is plural, and 'all y'all's' is plural possessive.
2. If you hear a Southerner exclaim, 'Hey, y'all watch this,' you should stay out of the way. These are likely to be the last words he'll ever say.

Now you know.

Liz, in the Republic (which is not the same as the South)

QuiltedSimple said...

I cannot wait for all the snow to melt. low 60's (F) today - it will feel like a heat wave
kris

Strawberry Jam Anne said...

Goodness me - you certainly do have a lot of snow still. Keep warm and roll on Spring.

Niki said...

good luck with the seeds! I must confess to a giggle about the snow...it'll all be gone soon :)

Karine said...

Wow, it sounds like you have LOADS of snow still left, I'm astonished! I always had this thought in my mind that Quebec got more snow than Ontario and I think we do in general, but I suspect you must have been a victim of lake effect snow!

Hotel Stay - Dinner

As part of our hotel stay the kids had booked us dinner, breakfast and afternoon tea. Here is what we ate at dinner.  Everything was spot on...