Friday, March 5, 2010

Lot's of "stuff" today

Did you scream with horror when you saw my photo on the right of my blog.....that actually is a very good photo of me I must say, at least I am half smiling in it!!

The Dump Cake recipe I featured on my blog is also featured on here as well.  You could also win an Eden Valley Messenger Tote Bag, by submitting a money saving tip here  Don't worry I am not going to submit any, I want all you guys to win the tote bag (s).  I will just whine, beg, and make a general nuisance of myself to get one...........hey I write columns for them, I should get the odd perk!!

It all started when I popped over to Tracey's blog on Thursday morning and she mentioned Mother's Day in Britain.  I had totally forgotten about it, so after a quick phone call to my mother, we decided she would celebrate Mother's Day with us in Canada in May, as she is going on vacation for a couple of weeks this weekend, so it's too late for me to send anything.

Now I am going to blame my calendar for this oversight, as I normally have a calendar with holidays on it for different countries.  This year I am using the calendar that I bought from our local Volunteer Firefighter Department and all they have on it are the Canadian holidays.  I do feel I need to give them a call with a few tips on how to make a calendar more appealing though.  Below is the photo for the month of March:

I know it brings it home to you what firefighters do, but do you want to look at an accident all month?  Now I don't expect it to be like the Toronto Firefighter Calendar although you must admit looking at those guys day in day out wouldn't be a chore; I would prefer not looking at an accident.  They need to make it more attractive, otherwise next year they'll be getting it back!

I got this lovely piece of stained glass off my dad and step-mother from their holidays.  Isn't it lovely?  I love stained glass.  Yes that is our garden, still covered in snow, and yes it sucks!!!!

It was warm enough on Thursday, that I was able to open the windows when I was doing my varnishing, still a bit smelly, but at least I don't have a headache.  I had a day of trying to do some tidying up and even got a couple of letters written.  It has been warm enough these past couple of days, that I haven't had to have the fire on until lunch time.  Even the heating hasn't been on 24/7.  I live in the hope that we don't have to fill the oil tank for the heating until middle to late April; we'll see!

Did you remember to put your money in your Daily Savings Box today?

Today's Money Saving Tip:

Buy one large roast, divide it up, and you can have several delicious meals for your family.

14 comments:

Tracey said...

LOL! That was a shock, (nice though!) At last we know what you look like, and it's nothing like any of my funnies!!! xxx

Kadeeae said...

A belated congratulations on your new article! Hope it all goes well for you and you don't get sooo many fans that you forget us little people :-)

MyBulletinBoard said...

Great pic, and yes, I can tell you are smiling! But I'm remembering the story way back about the Goth hair dye??? This looks more like "you." IT is, isn't it??

Liz, who always wanted to be a redhead in the Republic

Niki said...

From a kindred spirit, who also hates pictures of self, I Salute You! LOL
It's a very nice pic, Gill, and lovely to see what you look like.

Clippy Mat said...

what? you mean you don't have a leafy branch growing out of your head? i always thought that's how i'd recognize you.
seriously tho', its nice to see you at last.
nice photo.
;-)

DeniseinVA said...

That's a great photo Gill and another fun read. I agree about the calendar.

QuiltedSimple said...

great photo. We have a calendar that shows all the different fire departments in the county - the really depressing photos are the bad house fires.
kris

Kim said...

Wow I was surprised...I don't know why, but you look much older in my head!

Karine said...

I think your picture is actually quite good! As for the calendar, not bad at all in general ;o)

I love your stained glass, I used to have all kinds of those when I was little.

Kelly Casanova said...

Nice photo of you Gill, i usually avoid putting up photos of myself too!
I love you stained glass hanging, I'd love to have a full size stained glass window one day.

Piece by Piece said...

You look nothing like the mental picture I have on you. My mind had to with longer curly hair. At least I know what you look like.
Love your stained glass.
Patricia

~Kim at Golden Pines~ said...

It is a nice photo Gill--It's great to put a face with the posts! I think we're about the same age, we just about have the same hair!

I also love stained glass too!
By the way, don't hate me, but our snow is melting!! :-) Enjoy your weekend!

O. the expat mom said...

And I thought how could I ever miss the photo before! The effect is there for sure, all of a sudden the text belongs to a face. Nice picture!

Leiani said...

Nice to see a recent and very nice picture of you!

Hotel Stay - Dinner

As part of our hotel stay the kids had booked us dinner, breakfast and afternoon tea. Here is what we ate at dinner.  Everything was spot on...