Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Apple Cake

I saw a photo of this over at Pumpkin Country, who had got the recipe from At Home With Becky and just knew this was a cake I wanted to make, especially as I had a lot of apples in the house. (as always click on the photos for more detail)

Ingredients:

3 Large Eggs
2 cups sugar
1 cup vegetable oil
2 tsp. vanilla
2 3/4 cups all purpose/plain flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
2 tsp. cinnamon
4 cups peeled, chopped apples (I used 4 apples)
1 cup of chopped pecans or walnuts



Beat Eggs at medium speed until thick and pale. Gradually add sugar beating until blended.



Add oil and vanilla-beat at low speed until blended. Combine flour and next 3 ingredients-add to beaten mixture, stirring until blended.



Stir in apples and nuts. THIS WILL BE HARD TO STIR AND VERY THICK. (and it is thick!!)

Pour batter into a greased and floured tube pan. Bake at 350 for 1 hour and 25 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Cook cake in pan on wire rack 5 minutes then remove from pan and cool completely on wire rack.



A couple of changes I made. I didn't use the nuts as dh isn't to keen on nuts. I also used only 1 teaspoon of cinnamon, again dh not too keen on that. I also didn't measure my apples, I just used four apples which seems about right. It's a nice moist cake, I made two and put one in the freezer.



I was having a cup of peach flavoured green tea with my slice of cake.

10 comments:

Lakeland Jo said...

Looks great- like the sound of the tea too, bit different!

DeniseinVA said...

Sounds delicious. Peach Green Tea is one of my favorites. There was a brand of peach ice tea they sold at the shop I work at that I also enjoyed. I don't normally like iced-tea.

mommanator said...

looks yummy

Lib said...

Hi Gill,
I make this cake and put carm. icing its so delish!
Have a great day!
Blessins',Lib

Winifred said...

That does look good. My husband hates nuts cooked in cakes too. Strange aren't they!

I was wondering what you were going to do with all those apples you bought. Now I know.

Gill - That British Woman said...

thanks for all the comments,

been super busy again,

Gill

Unknown said...

Looks super yummy...I'll have to make this cake I think

Thanks for recipe

Jan said...

Those cakes look great, Gill. And I'm with hubby on the cinnamon, I can't stand the stuff.

Strawberry Jam Anne said...

That looks lovely Gill - will try that recipe and take one to my mum who loves apple cake. Thanks.

A x

L. said...

I am going to try and make this cake tomorrow....it looks so delicious!

I might even have a cup of tea with it!

: )

Hotel Stay - Dinner

As part of our hotel stay the kids had booked us dinner, breakfast and afternoon tea. Here is what we ate at dinner.  Everything was spot on...