Sunday, July 6, 2008

Peanut Butter Cookies

This poor post has been pushed back so many times, I am determined come what may today you are going to read it. I hope you enjoy the recipe.

This recipe is from the first cookbook I got when we came to Canada. Its from The Fannie Farmer Cookbook. So I have had this cookbook for over 18 years. This is a family favourite, and when I open up the book, it automatically opens to the page for peanut butter cookies.

Ingredients:

1 cup shortening
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup brown sugar
2 eggs, beaten
1 cup peanut butter
3 cups flour
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking soda

Preheat the oven to 350 oF and grease some cookie sheets. In a mixing bowl cream shortening, vanilla and sugars.



Add eggs and beat well.



Add peanut butter and mix in well.



Sieve together flour, salt and baking soda and add to the peanut butter mixture, mixing well.



Form into tiny balls awith the palm of your hands and place on the cookies sheets. Press each cookie twice with the back of a fork to make crisscross design.




Bake about 8 to 10 minutes or until golden brown. No artistic shot this time, I was getting tired by this time!!



I have to say I do not like peanut butter, but I love these peanut butter cookies?

8 comments:

Cathy said...

Hello Gill
I realise 'shortening' is different to soft margarine but do you think it would work or would I need to get a hard margarine.

Have never found anything over here that fitted the shortening description

Nice to see you the other day - hows the back?

Take care
Cathy

Gill - That British Woman said...

Shortening is vegetable based, I would try a hard margarine and see what happens, it should work.

Just don't use lard.

The back is a lot better, thanks.

Gill

~Niki~ said...

Yum! Can I come over?

Anonymous said...

Those cookies look delicious. I love to bake with my kids, so we'll be trying them. Thanks!
Mary:)

Gill - That British Woman said...

I have been using this recipe for years, so it has to be good, and the book where I got the recipe from is a classic. Hope you enjoy them as much as we do.
:0)

Autumn Moon said...

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm those cookies looke good, I must try them!

Gill - That British Woman said...

thanks for popping by Autumn Moon

Rose said...

I am not a great fan of peanutbutter by itself, but love peanut butter cookies, and also Reese's cups!

Hotel Stay - Dinner

As part of our hotel stay the kids had booked us dinner, breakfast and afternoon tea. Here is what we ate at dinner.  Everything was spot on...