Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Okay we are now criminals..........well sort of.

I know you're shocked, but first let me explain something..........

When we lived in England we lived in the countryside and if we wanted rocks for the garden we would go to the nearest field and find a rock. We would have never dreamt in a month of Sunday's of going out and buying rocks.

Fast forward to moving to Canada and going to a garden centre and discovering at the garden centre that rocks are sold by the pound, excuse me, you have to buy rocks????

So we, meaning dh, has been putting boards on the bottom of the fence to keep out the wildlife, like rabbits out of our garden. They can still get in at a couple of places, so I decided in these places that a big rock would be good.

So we went out today and on the way home we passed a subdivision being built, so called in there and went rock picking. They had a couple of model homes on this subdivision and as there were some lots we had taken a fancy to we decided to call in and take a look.

So in we walk and the woman says, were you stealing rocks.....we say um yes, but they don't really belong to anyone do they? Okay I told "John" that was what you were taking, and that's fine, she says. He thought you were stealing the wood.....I say why would anyone steal the wood? She says because they do?

So we go and look at the house plans in the next room, and we hear her say to "John" the police are on the phone, "John" says why, and she says well you told me to call them???? Me and dh just look at one another and shrug. So "John" gets on the phone with the police and that is that.

Now to be fair they didn't say they had called the police on us, but there's a good chance that is what they did!!!!!

You know what the strange thing is I don't feel guilty, should I? They were just lying there amongst the soil. Anyone could have taken them and they are just a nuisance for the builders? Oh well you live and learn I suppose, but we did save ourselves at least $20 or $30 by picking our own rocks......

Oh, and here are photo's of the "stolen" rocks.....





16 comments:

akalittleeva said...

Too funny, Gill! I would never pay for rocks, either!

AmyK said...

What a funny story! I wouldn't want to pay for rocks either. We used rocks in our decoration at our wedding, and didn't want to pay for them, so we went to a nearby creek and went rock picking. Didn't have the cops called on us, though!

Unknown said...

LOL! My DH has previously "liberated" rocks and driftwood from the nearby falls that were used in our aquarium. I need to find some that size for our garden.

Gill - That British Woman said...

Well I am glad I am not the only one who thinks its strange to pay for rocks. The whole thing was bizzare.

I should have posted this under "It could only happen to me!!!" file.

Sonshine said...

LOL! Funny! Even in the US you have to pay for rocks. :)

Thanks for stopping by!

Mistress Meeyee said...

You asked me what breed my dogs are on my page,one is a rat terrier and the other is a beagle! Thank you,I adore them.

DeniseinVA said...

Loved the story. We used to take rocks off Dartmoor to put on my mum's rockery garden. Thinking back maybe we shouldn't have done that either but there was no one to call the police on us. Except for maybe the work crew from Dartmoor Prison just down the road!!!!

DeniseinVA said...

Almost forgot, Happy Canada Day up there.

Unknown said...

Too funny. I guess we're also hardened criminals as I never pay for rocks. We head up logging roads and fill our trailer as needed. I cannot believe that people actually charge for rocks. I mean seriously. They are a part of nature, how can you take it and put a price tag on it?

Anonymous said...

well I thought I would peep into your blog after your comment on mine. Dont talk to me about rocks!!!!! We found the same problem here, so while paul was driving home from work one day he saw some lovely rocks, pulled in the layby and pick 3 up. 2 seconds later the police come past and though he was fly tipping!!!!anyway we are now the proud owners of 3 stolen rocks from the countryside........
xx
tracey

driftwood said...

well they're very nice rocks! thanks for stopping by my blog.

Gill - That British Woman said...

thanks everyone for your comments, it makes me feel good that no one else would want to pay for rocks!!!

CannedAm said...

Not bad! They look like nice rocks and mostly of the same kind. You could build a rock garden! We always went hunting for rocks back in the states. I do have yet to pay for some (other than the crushed rock we used to stabilize our retaining walls) here. Since we'll be adding on to our rock garden in the coming years, I'm going to take your tip and go to the new subdivisions they're building all over the place. I'll ask first though ;) I can see me getting deported for rock thieving! LOL

Gill - That British Woman said...

Don't worry they'll be deporting me as well!!!!

Leanne said...

Hi there...thanks for visiting my blog! Well your rock story is a little more daring than mine. Funny. There used to be a lot more natural places around our city to "find" rocks too but sadly that is diminishing and it often comes down to buying them...though I can say I haven't yet either. I wonder how the charge for stealing rocks would read?!

Rose said...

I go through this all the time...is it stealing or not. I never even thought of it as stealing, and then I got to wondering it is...I don't pick up rock if I think it is used for stopping erosion.

There is a creek about a bit over an hour away from us where I have gotten some wonderful rocks, but I also pick them up where it is convenient.

Hotel Stay - Dinner

As part of our hotel stay the kids had booked us dinner, breakfast and afternoon tea. Here is what we ate at dinner.  Everything was spot on...