Friday, July 25, 2008

Night with the girls.............

Wednesday night we had a get together over at one of my friends houses. There was four of us me, Paula, Paola, and Rose. It was the first time me and Rose had ever met, and what a lady, we have so much in common. It's always lovely to meet a new friend, and one I will have I hope for many years to come.

I've known Paula for ever, our boys have been friends I think since Grade 1. Paola works with Paula, and I have know her for a while and she is such a great person, despite the fact she had it in for me while we were eating, as she kept throwing things in my direction (quite accidentally.....I hope it was!!) Got a bit worried though when she went to re-light the fondue candle, as I was wondering if I might lose an eyebrow or two........okay I am exaggerating here.........

Anyhow, it was a night of firsts for me. Paola made her homemade Guacamole and Salsa for us, I have never had either. She gave me permission to share her recipes...........wait a minute........think I actually said I am going to put this on my blog.............that's sort of like asking permission, isn't it?

Paola's Homemade Guacamole

1 small onion chopped finely
2 avocados
Juice of 1/2 lime
salt
jalapeno finely chopped

(the photo also includes the ingredients for the salsa as well, also Paola only used the small jalapeno in both recipes as I was whining about how I don't like anything hot)



Basically you pop the chopped onion in the dish. Scoop out the avocado pulp, and mash the onion and avocado together. Mix in the juice, the jalapeno and the salt and its done.



Now as you can see from the photo above, we popped one of the stones in the mixture. Paola says that its may be an old wives tale, but apparently it stops the avocados from going brown if you pop the stone in the mixture. We all ate it too fast to see if this was true or not!!!!!



Now do I like guacamole..............I don't dislike it, if I made it I wouldn't put the jalapeno in it, as I don't like anything hot. I won't be rushing out to make it, but its something I might make if we have a party.

Paola's Homemade Salsa

1 large tomato chopped
1/2 onion finely chopped
jalapeno chopped
juice of 1/2 lime
plenty of salt

This was so simple to make, why anyone would ever buy it I do not know. I would not add the jalapeno otherwise this recipe is perfect.

Here is a photo of the finished product along with the guacamole:



Another thing I haven't done is fondue. Rose brought along her fondue set and chocolate. Paula made a fruit tray, and the combination was YUMMY!!!!



As I have a sweet tooth I was quite happy to keep sampling this. Though I surprised myself by thoroughly enjoying the pears dipped into the chocolate. The pears were quite hard, and with the chocolate, it was just the best. So thank you to Paula and Rose for that experience.

Now you're going to say, what did you bring Gill.........the chips........which in itself was an experience walking up and down the chip aisle looking for the Lime flavoured Tostito's. Luckily Paula had told me exactly what to get, I never buy that sort of thing.

However, I wasn't altogether happy in bringing just chips, so I made the ladies a little something to take home:


A little table mat each.

I sewed a little label on the back of each one for them. This one was for Paula:



This one was for Paola.


And this one was for Rose.



Now the next get together is at our house on August 20th, and I am already planning on what to make.......

It was a great night, and being the party animals we are (I was in bed by 9.15pm!!) we are all pooped today (Thursday). I must say something though.......those ladies FORCED me and I mean FORCED me to eat all that chocolate, and I have had the headache from hell today................LOL

Can't wait until next month...........wonder what we'll get up to then, being the party animals we are!!!

12 comments:

Ginnie said...

Well you sound like you had a fab time. It is so nice to meet up with friends. Have a good relax today to recover!!

Niki said...

Love the table mats, they really lovely! I'm going to give the homemade salsa recipe a try!
Blessings,
Niki

Theresa @ Take A Sentimental Journey said...

Don't you just love getting together with friends ? I am going to have to do that soon, it's been too long .

Christy Lee said...

Hello, I just stopped by your blog after I happened to be reading Niki's blog...salsa and guacamole look wonderful, and I loved the placemats. I just started crocheting, so we'll see how it goes from there!!! Feel free to visit anytime!

Kim said...

My sister, and a couple of our girlfriends often do a spa night.

Lots of finger foods, my sister does reflexology on our feet, we had a friend training to become a massage therapist and she would give us discounted massages. And we would sit and gab all night long. Much later than you LOL.

I think it about time we scheduled one of those again.

Jess said...

Glad you had such a good night.

Have a great weekend.

~Niki~ said...

Oh YUM, I love guacamole. The table mats are precious. How nice of u.

Lib said...

Sounds like a wonderful time!
I make salsa much better than store boughten.
Love your table mats.
Have a great day! And hope you feel better!
Blessins',Lib

DeniseinVA said...

So you get bad heads from chocolate too aye? Sounds like you had a great time with your friends. What a lovely gift you made everyone. And I shall enjoy making those recipes - the tried and true ones are always the best.

Diane at Crafty Passions said...

Sounds like you had fun!!
Diane at Crafty Passions

Gill - That British Woman said...

Thanks for popping by everyone, sorry for not commenting earlier, been busy. Hoping things will slow down next week,

Gill :0)

Rose said...

Sounds like you had a blast...I am glad you posted this peek at the past....

Hotel Stay - Dinner

As part of our hotel stay the kids had booked us dinner, breakfast and afternoon tea. Here is what we ate at dinner.  Everything was spot on...