Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Chocolate Zucchini Cake

I have been making this for years. Its a good way of getting the kids to eat veggies!!! Mind you both my kid's discovered bits of green in mine and only eat this reluctantly, and they are in their early 20's. I think Lisa gave me this recipe, but I'm not sure.

Ingredients:

2 cups white granulated sugar
3/4 cup vegetable oil
3 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup milk
2 1/2 cups flour
3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon all spice
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
4 tablespoon cocoa
1 1/2 cups shredded zucchini
3/4 cups chocolate chips
3/4 cup chopped walnuts (optional, I never put them in)

In a large bowl, beat oil and sugar until well mixed.



Add eggs, vanilla and milk and beat well.



In a large bowl sieve together all the dry ingredients and gradually add to wet ingredients. My apologies, for some reason I didn't take a photo of this stage?

Stir in shredded zucchini.



Stir in chocolate chips.



Bake in a 350°F oven for 1 hour if using a bundt or tube pan.
Bake in a 325°F oven for around 45 minutes if using a 13 x 9 inch pan.
Bake in a 350°F oven for around 25 to 30 minutes if you are making muffins.



It makes a super moist cake.

13 comments:

Lib said...

Hi Gill,
I'll have to try this one for sure. Thanks for sharing!
HAve a great day!
Blessins',Lib

Jess said...

Never heard of this....i will have to try it!

Thanks for the tutorial...have a great day!

Jilly's Space said...

oh yum! I'll be making this for my family!
thanks for the recipe : )

Cathy said...

Hello Gill
Now that is a neat sounding easy to make cake lol

Especially love the choccy bits - well I love any chocolate never mind about little bits:(

Take care
Cathy

Gill - That British Woman said...

Thank you all for popping by. It really is a good recipe, I'm sure you will enjoy it, even my kids will occasionally eat it...LOl

Laura Jane said...

HI Gill

I just found your comment from June on my blog Loving the Question. Thanks so much!

I love your site - I'll be trying some recipes for sure!

Cheers

Laura

The Tin House said...

Gill, the secret to the zuchinni remaining a secret...is to peel it first. Then they really will never, ever know. Lisa x

Arlette said...

Thank you for the recipe. Your cake looks so moist and delicious. Makes me want a slice right now.
Aloha!

Gill - That British Woman said...

thanks for all your comments :0)

Unknown said...

I've got this baking as we speak! I didn't have any cocoa so guess mine will be a chocolate chip zuchinni cake. I used a full cup of choc chips to compensate for the lack of cocoa powder, LOL! And I used 2 cups of zuchinni. I'll let you know how we all liked it.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this recipe. I made the whole thing with my food processor, worked like a charm.It is the best chocolate zucchini cake I have ever made...and I have made quite a few! Jacquie

Anonymous said...

Hi
could someone please tell me how much in ounces a cup is? I'm from the UK and we don't use those measurements, it's very frustrating when you see a lovely recipe but cannot do it as I'm not sure what the measurement should be. Anyone's advice would be much appreciated.

thanks
Angie

Gill - That British Woman said...

Hi Angie, got to this site to convert to ounces: http://www.calculateme.com/Volume/index.htm

Gill

Hotel Stay - Dinner

As part of our hotel stay the kids had booked us dinner, breakfast and afternoon tea. Here is what we ate at dinner.  Everything was spot on...