Sunday, July 13, 2008

Meatball/Meatloaf recipe

I bought a big batch of ground beef the other day, see July 11th FOF post. So decided I had better do something with it all. Here is what I made on the Friday afternoon. A Baked Bean Lasagna, Mince and gravy with peas, Mince and gravy with peas and sliced potatoes on top, two meatloaves, (using the recipe below).



The next day (Saturday) I made a big batch of meatballs with the remaining ground beef. Here is a link to the original recipe, as you can make small or large batches of these. I made a double batch. Now I have to say you are supposed to get 120 meatballs out of a double batch. I obviously make huge meatballs as I only got 55...oh well.

Ingredients (for a double batch)

3 lbs lean ground beef
1 1/3 cups rolled oats
1 cup diced onion
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon garlic powder
4 eggs
1 1/3 cups ketchup or tomato sauce



Put all the ingredients in a large bowl and mix together with either your hands or a spoon...I don't do the mixing together with your hands routine, its icky, just thought I'd mention that.



Meatloaf: go on to the freezing directions.

Meatballs: Form meatballs with your hands or a small cookie scoop. Cover a rimmed baking sheet with foil and spray with Pam for easy clean up. Place the meatballs on the baking sheet and bake at 375 °F for 20 to 30 minutes until lightly browned and no longer pink in the center. Cool.



Freezing Direction:
Meatloaf: Put the meat mixture in a 2lb loaf pan, seal, label and freeze.
Meatballs: Package cooled meatballs in appropriate size freezer bags or containers, seal, label and freeze.

Serving Directions:
Meatloaf: Thaw at least overnight in the refrigerator. Bake at 350°F for an hour or until no pink shows in the centre of the loaf. I also top mine with more ketchup when I first put it in the oven.
Meatballs: They are fully cooked, so just thaw and use in what ever recipe you like.



So with just under 7lbs of ground beef I got quite a few meals out of it, all in the freezer ready to use.

9 comments:

Handmade in Israel said...

Hi Gill. Thank you for your continued interest in my work. I have written a new posting answering your questions! Please take a look - I have given you a little mention too!

Lib said...

Hi Gill,
We're on the same page today!LOL
I made a meatloaf for today and making meatballs to freeze .
Have a great day!
Blessins',Lib

Gill - That British Woman said...

Thanks for popping by Lisa and answering some of my questions.

Lib, it's a case of great minds think alike!!

Diane at Crafty Passions said...

You are a little shaker baker !!
Wow you were on a cooking roll!! Good for you now you have all those meals ahead,I do that sometimes too, it just makes sense.
Thank you so much for coming by my blog I have really enjoyed yours and I will be back!!
Diane

Quilter Going Bananas said...

Wow Gill, you've been busy! Come visit my blog, there's a surprise for you! Cheers QGB

Gill - That British Woman said...

Thank you both :0)

Anonymous said...

Gill, those meals look delicious! Glad you are fellow meat-lover. Good old BBQ hamburgers are great in the summer too!
Maryxo

Theresa @ Take A Sentimental Journey said...

Hi Gill, meat balls look good. I need to do that too. I am getting where I hate to cook . Wished I hated to eat ! :0) :0)
Just kidding.

Jasmine's Journey said...

The meatballs and loaf look really good. Haven't had 1 in a long time.

http://dangerouslydeliciousrecipes.com/blog

Hotel Stay - Dinner

As part of our hotel stay the kids had booked us dinner, breakfast and afternoon tea. Here is what we ate at dinner.  Everything was spot on...