Saturday, July 19, 2008

Happy 2 Month Anniversary to Me!!!

On May 19th 2008, I stuck my toes into the big blogging pool for the first time. I wasn't sure how I was going to manage all the technical stuff like posting photo's, adding hyper-links etc. Then of course what on earth would I write about that would interest anyone else?

However two months later ThatBritishWoman blog is still around, and I reached a milestone yesterday of 5,000 hits on the blog...YEAH!!!!! So I figure I must be doing something right somewhere?

Two months later, I still love to blog. I do still have minor panic attacks now and then about what on earth am I going to say this week, but you know something always pops up. I am still puzzled by the technical aspect of things, and would love to make my blog fancier like other people's. I am learning things every day. Just the other day Nita, from Phancy Pages, emailed me to tell me how to put a degree sign in my recipes, ALT 0176 Did you know that? I didn't? I would love to put a strike, a solid line through words, as though I have crossed them out, but have no idea how? So if anyone knows that please let me know. Is there a list of codes out there that tells me how to do these things. I would love to be able to change the font and colour of my posts, don't know how to do that either. Also where do people find all the neat pictures, as I would have loved to have put a Happpy Anniversary pitcure on this post?

One thing I found really funny with blogging is the conversations within conversations that go on. For example, you may be reading a post about baking a cake. You read the comments, then all of a sudden there is a comment about yes you can buy that toaster from that store. And you're thinking what has that got to do with a cake? However I have discovered that the original poster had maybe asked a question on another blog, and that person is answering her back on her own blog. The first few times I saw this I was puzzled, as to what was going on. Now, I hold my hand up to being guilty of doing this....LOL

I must say one thing about blogging, its addictive. I do try and limit my time on the computer, but more times than not, I figure I'll just pop on for a few minutes and next time I look up an hour has passed.

Another thing I have learned there are such a lot of creative people in this world, and thanks to the internet, we are just a click away, if we have a question. I have learned a lot about people, about the countries they live in, about what is considered normal in their country. About different ways of doing everyday things. I am a firm believer you should try and learn something new everyday. It keeps your mind active and stimulates the brain.

I have no regrets at starting this blog, and have to say 99.9% of people have been super nice.

So here's too many more months of blogging!!!! And a big thank you to you all for visiting me and commenting on the blog, as without you I would be talking to myself......even more than I normally do!!

MySpace  Graphics

15 comments:

Ginnie said...

Hi Gill
thanks for visiting my blog, I have been "blogging" for just over a month and I too was worried about if I had enough technical know how to do it.... but I manage!
I will add you to my "blogs to view" list.

Cathy said...

Hello Gill
Nice to see you today, I'm allowed out and about now - feel much much better:)

Congrats on your milestone but a question for you.

How on earth have you managed to generate so much traffic? Do you comment on every blog you read?

Sometimes I find its been a nice read (not talking about yours just some blogs in general) but I can't just say that so don't say anything.

Whats the secret ?

Take care
Cathy

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your milestone!!

I don't use blogger, but you should be able to find the strike out line in your text editing tool bar, which is open as you are writing up your posts.

Cathi said...

Congratulations!

There's a tutorial on how to put a strike though at http://www.bloggingbasics101.com/101/2008/04/how-do-i-put-a.html

That whole site is great for bloggers -- lots of good info there. I have no affiliation with them, just have found it to be quite informative and helpful.

Lib said...

Hi Gill,
Congrats on 2 mons.!:o)
I Enjoy each visit with you to the fullest:o)
Theres tons I don't know abouth the computer! Enjoying blogging tho:o)
Have a great wk.end!
Blessins',Lib

DeniseinVA said...

Well you've taught me a few things since I started reading your blog, and today about the degree sign. I shall file that one away. Congratulations on your 5,000th hit. What a milestone! Keep on blogin' :))))))

Diane at Crafty Passions said...

You have a cute blog and tell it like it is , and that has so much appeal to me!!
All that tecky stuff will come with time , dont worry abut it,your blog looks good!
Diane

Unknown said...

Congrats on the Milestone! I like blogging. Its nice to have an avenue of where to put all that extra stuff that's floating around in my head... lol.

Gill - That British Woman said...

I just wanted to say a big thank you for all your lovely comments and words of support. My apologies for not checking in sooner, just had a busy day with one thing and another, will let you know more later in the week.

Gill

and thanks for the link Catherine..

Anonymous said...

it is very nice blog

Jess said...

So glad you are still around.. I really enjoy your blog... as for the technical stuff... most of it is in your editing post window.. You either have to start out and tweak with the buttons to find what you are lookng for or you type your post, and then drag over it (highlight it)..and tinker with all those options at the top.

Have a good weekend.

Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary....from Texas home of the 100%-cover-your-body heat rash!

I have been reading your blog for a while and thought I would just drop you a line! Keep up the great writings!

~Niki~ said...

You are such a wonderful blogger, new or not! Congrats on 2 wonderful months. I love reading your blog, and all the lovely comments you leave me :) hugs! from arizona.
niki

Gill - That British Woman said...

thank you all for you good wishes, and thank you for popping by.........

Kelly Casanova said...

Good for you Gill, I'm enjoying reading your blog, love the gardening and travel pics.

Hotel Stay - Dinner

As part of our hotel stay the kids had booked us dinner, breakfast and afternoon tea. Here is what we ate at dinner.  Everything was spot on...