Saturday, May 14, 2016

Lack of a veggie garden...........

Don't have room for a veggie garden at this house.  Did do a couple of pots last year with very little success.  Picked up a copy of "Mother Earth News, Guide to Living on Less and Loving It, today and there was an article on how to have a "veggie garden" using bags of regular garden soil.

That peaked my interest, and I found this article about it on the Mother Earth News website.  Has anyone done this; and what sort of results did you have?  We have had a rabbit situation so was hoping to do a couple of bags on the deck, but do not want to ruin the deck, any ideas of how to protect the deck?  Dh made a small table a few years back, so may use that to put one bag on.  Should see if he has any other wood to make me another one?



I was thinking of growing a couple of tomato plants and maybe a sweet pepper plant.  I am going to buy some herbs and plant them in the front garden where I have room.  There are some neat ways to grow herbs here.

9 comments:

Cindy@NorthofWiarton said...

did you try the Patio tomatoes?

Jackie said...

I know a few people that have had good luck gardening this way. I am not sure how you would protect your deck though.

God bless.

T'Pol said...

Hi Gill, have you heard about topsy turvy planters?

thrift deluxe said...

The bag idea is very interesting, we don't have a huge amount of space, but I do have a nice sunny area of patio for a few extra bits and pieces, thanks.

Jenn Jilks said...

I tried it, but didn't have much success in a large pot. I've borrowed my kids' rototiller, though. We shall see!

Linda aka Crafty Gardener said...

We used to use grow bags in England many years ago. I grow my veggies in large containers placed on tables and have success. I find the containers are deeper than the bags and give the root system a chance to develop better.

Anonymous said...

I use grow boxes. They would work well on the deck. My friend did the bag thing in her yard and grew lots of flowers in many places that the soil was just to full of clay to be useful.

William Kendall said...

If you try it, I hope it works out.

mamasmercantile said...

We have had quite a successful seasons growing in containers and bags, particularly salads. Good luck.

{{{SIGH}}}

Tuesday was a mixed bag type of day. Had the appliance repair guy come again to install another circuit board in the fridge.  When hubby got...