Sunday, March 22, 2015

Random photos from down the town.......

We went to a wedding on Saturday, so I prepared this post Saturday morning.  I took all the photos from my car when I drove through town earlier in the week.  Don't worry I was either stopped at the lights, or stopped for turning traffic when I took each one.  None are particularly interesting but I did include a couple of facts with some of them.

Giant Tiger is a Canadian firm sort of like a grocery store, that also sells clothes, and house wares, a bit of everything.  We had a smaller one in town, but they moved to this new premises which is a lot, lot bigger.  It was where the old Zellers used to be.  Haven't been in it yet, as I couldn't be bothered to go in.  I went to the store to the right of it Mark's Work Wearhouse to get dh a new dress shirt for the wedding.  They sell the best shirts there.

 The town Alliston has adopted a phrase called "RURBAN," a cross between Urban and Rural.  I get it,  we are a bit of both.  It was a small farming town with limited other industries until a Honda Plant came into town in 1989.  It has since expanded at a rapid rate.
 I took this photo to illustrate how dismal it looks this time of year with no green in the grass or on the trees.  I call this "the dirty time of year."  Once Spring is in full flow, things look prettier.
 I love this store in the middle of town it has a bit of everything for the house.  We got our end tables for the living room for there.  Once I save up enough money I'll be buying more things from them.
 If you look in the distance you can see a church steeple?
 Here is that church closer up.  It's St. John's United Church   I couldn't find a definitive age of when this church was built.
All in all not overly exciting but if you click on the links it may be more interesting for you.

Just a look at the town in which we live.

18 comments:

The Cranky said...

What a lovely wee town, it reminds me of the town I grew up in - (before we moved to the family farm) even the church looks quite similar to the Methodist church we lived behind!

I've heard of people having doppelgangers, but never towns.

Anna of Mutton Style and Years said...

I live in a town in England, on the edge, like me. You called call where i live Rurban. Unfortunately planning permission has been given for housing on our doorstep so I will be living in Urban. Sadly! I will be posting very urban pics tonight on my blog. London pics that I captured last week. I enjoyed seeing around your town. A fab idea doing those car pics.

Anna of Mutton Style and Years said...

I forgot to say, my mum used to do a rhyme with me, here is a church, here is the steeple, look inside and there's the people.

Leigh said...

"Rurban", that's pretty clever. :) I love older towns like this, no McDonalds, no Walmart. They look like real towns, not the cartoon towns that such places turn them into.

Evelyn said...

amazing town Gill! we have a Giant tiger, it is a awesome store and great prices and the produce and veggies are super cheap

Country Gal said...

I was in Alliston a few weeks ago . I have a cousin that was born and raised there , The town has changed so much over the years and grown to . Alliston was once an old farming town .I haven't been in a giant Tiger either I always go to Wally's world lol I do miss our old Zellers though as I also worked there I wish they would bring that chain back . Lovely photos and post . Thanks for sharing , Have a good day !

Jane and Chris said...

I couldn't get to your last blog post...my computer said there was a problem with it,so wouldn't let me access it!
Jane x

Belinda said...

Such nice pictures, especially the church. It is dismal this time of year here too, spring is right around the corner and things here are getting ready to bloom. I can't wait!

Rustic Pumpkin said...

I guess your Giant Tiger is what Tesco has become in the UK ~ our Superstore sells everything now, no longer groceries, but the whole gamut from magazines and stationery to washing machines and cookers with everything in between.
I guess rurban is the new suburbs? I find it a tricksy word to try to pronounce, but I'm sure Shakespeare would have had great fun with it.

Cheapchick said...

I wish we had Giant Tiger in in BC, I keep hearing about all their great bargains. Now that Target is shutting our small towns store there is less competition and likely less bargains.

William Kendall said...

I like the look of the town.

Giant Tiger started up here in Eastern Ontario originally. The first store is in the Byward Market. I go in for chocolate on a regular basis.

Plowing Through Life (Martha) said...

Thanks for the tour. I always enjoy getting a look into where fellow bloggers live.

Linda aka Crafty Gardener said...

In enjoyed my trip through your town. A second Giant Tiger opened recently in the town closest to us, haven't been to visit yet, but might if it is on our route one day.

PJ said...

Would like to revisit Canada some day!

My home computer seems to have difficulty getting on your blog so I could not leave a comment yesterday. Now I'm using a computer at work and it's fine!

PJ said...

Would like to revisit Canada some day!

My home computer seems to have difficulty getting on your blog so I could not leave a comment yesterday. Now I'm using a computer at work and it's fine!

Anonymous said...

I can't believe how little snow you have left! I buy my clothes at Mark's - such a fashionista I am :)

EG CameraGirl said...

One good thing about snow is it covers the brown. ;)) Alliston will be much prettier in a few weeks, though.

Jenn Jilks said...

I thnk I prefer dismal to all of our ice and snow!

{{{SIGH}}}

Tuesday was a mixed bag type of day. Had the appliance repair guy come again to install another circuit board in the fridge.  When hubby got...