Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Week Two of the decluttering challenge and a Book Review

At least I think it's the second week, I actually don't know when the week actually starts, I must ask Carla???  Anyhow I made a start on the living room and I didn't take an actual "before" photo, this is a sort of throw everything around so you can see what's what photo:


I spent a considerable time in the morning posting 7 items on Kijiji in the hopes of selling them.  All the software on the rocking chair has been destroyed and the boxes put in the recycling.  There are two big boxes now next to where dh sits in the family room for him to go through on a night when he's watching tv, as if it were up to me I would throw the whole lot out, but it's apparently not all garbage????

The green boxes behind the sofa are wedding presents of dd and there are more under the table to the right of the photo, so the sooner dd and hubby get a house the better, but they could be here for another year yet!!

I have two boxes behind the door still to unpack from when we moved.  I have excuses as to why I haven't unpacked them, but they are pretty lame.  The bed frame behind the sofa is there because  (feel free to fill in what you want on the lined area) ______________

The main thing in this room is that I have made a start.  I have thrown some things out and I have a pile to go to the electronics recycling and have put some stuff on Kijiji to sell.

Oh and I had a couple of no spend days, both Sunday and Monday...........

Also we have not done a thing in the living room other than change the light fixture, so it is more or less as it was when we moved into the house.

"Words Spoken True," by Ann H. Gabhart

Adriane Darcy was practically raised in her father's newspaper offices. She can't imagine life without the clatter of the press and the push to be first to write the news that matters. Their Tribune is the leading paper in Louisville in 1855. Then Blake Garrett, a brash young editor from the North with a controversial new style of reporting, takes over failing competitor the Herald, and the battle for readers gets fierce.


When Adriane and Blake meet at a benefit tea, their surprising mutual attraction is hard to ignore. Still, Blake is the enemy, and Adriane is engaged to the son of a powerful businessman who holds the keys to the Tribune's future. Blake will stop at almost nothing to get the story--and the girl. Can he do both before it's too late?

I am not a huge fan of this author, but I thought I'd give her another try and I am pleased that I did.  This was a book of romance and mystery with a bit of history and murder mixed in with it, so will appeal to a wide range of readers.  I will say it took me a number of chapters before the story had me hooked.  However once that happened I needed to know what would happen next.

The romance side of the story was pretty predictable, and the murder mystery side was easily figured out, but overall it was an entertaining book.

Stars out of 5 : 3 the start of the story was long winded and boring, but once you get into the story it will have you hooked.  So well worth persevering through those first chapters, also you will learn a bit about the social unrest back in the mid 1800's in Louisville.

"Book has been provided courtesy of Baker Publishing Group and Graf-Martin Communications, Inc.


Available at your favourite bookseller from Revell, a division of Baker Publishing Group".

14 comments:

Scarlet said...

We have a large box full of wires and things in the attic. It hasn't been unpacked yet, but apparently they're useful - they haven't been used in almost a year though!

Stella Jones said...

It is so hard to de-clutter. I was doing my annual paper clear out yesterday. When one runs a business, one has to keep invoices etc. for 7 years to please the tax office!. It is so nice when one can, at last, get rid of the the 7th year lot, which was what I did last night. I had to stop when the shredder got hot and started complaining. Now the dustbin is full of shreddings (for re-cycling) and I am ready to do some more today. Good news for me is that, now that my business is finished (I'm retired), once I get rid of that 7th year, there isn't a new lot to fill its place.
Like you I have lots of 'stuff' belonging to one of my sons. The house would be a lot more spacious without it!

Kaisievic said...

You go girl! Great progress on decluttering.

hugs, Kaye xoxox

Debby said...

Look at you go!! My hubby will have some homework as well tonight, lots of wires and remotes that go to who knows what. LOVE your deep set windows!

Cindy@NorthofWiarton said...

Great start on Week 2, Gill. I have yet to finish Week 1 today. I believe the 1st week began on the 1st of Feb., being last Wed., so I need to finish up today! Haven't decided what Personal Space I want to do for Week 2 as of yet, however had no problem deciding on which room will be the "dreaded". Brisk cold wind here this morning with the woodstove fired up. Stay warm.

Sandi McBride said...

Looking good Gill! Oh, how goes the search for Molly's pal? Thanks for the book reviews, they always give me inspiration...have you discovered M.C. Beaton as yet, or am I the late comer to the party?
Sandi

Meri said...

Good start Gill...starting is the hard part.
I found 2 new anti-virus kits in my computer junk declutter. Tried to install them yesterday and both have expired. Money wasted because of clutter. Lesson learned the hard way.
Great job so far can't wait to see the end result.

Northern Living Allowance said...

That's a great job on the living room! I'm loving your wood mouldings and window frames. Beautiful! I must say that I'm glad I don't share my space with someone else that I'd have to discuss decluttering with. The only person I can blame is me. Surprisingly, that doesn't always make it easier to let go of stuff, but bit by bit I make progress. It's all you can do.

Fee said...

Well done good going, and its a relief to know that others also have 'stuff' propped against walls! We moved here in 2007 and are in the same position as you!
Keep inspiring me and I may just act!

Fee

simplicityinthemaking said...

Wow Gill you are really moving along here. Spring weather must be helping inspire you.

laura said...

I love your windows Gill, first thing I noticed....then I spotted the bed frame lol!
Kepp going you're doing great :)

Scrappy quilter said...

I just got my books yesterday so I'm going to be doing a whole lot of reading in the next few weeks. They are always about a week behind you. Hugs

ChrisJ said...

Hmm. I thought I had been following you but haven't read anything of yours for a while. Well I'd like to be a follower but couldn't find the place on your blog to sign up. I really like the two paintings but ask that you don't include me in the Giveaway as I have a hundred or so of my own that I don't know what to do with!! I enjoyed going back and reading some of your blogs. A suggestion: could you put a link to the Baker Publishing House from where you get the books you review? I found your reviews interesting and helpful. Incidentally, I'm another British woman who used to reside in Canada and Minnesota but have now been near San Diego for going on 40 years.

Rose said...

I need to start on the de-cluttering...you are an inspiration. But also loved seeing the bed rails in the corner....

{{{SIGH}}}

Tuesday was a mixed bag type of day. Had the appliance repair guy come again to install another circuit board in the fridge.  When hubby got...