Tuesday, February 17, 2015

On a cold day what do you make, SOOP!!!!

I know I spelled Soup wrong in the title but was channeling a bit of Mrs. Brown (warning bad language in the video, the "F" word is used):



I made a pan of SOOP that is loosely based on a recipe I saw here.

So here is my recipe for Carrot, Potato and Turnip Soup
Ingredients:

2 tbsp butter/marg or oil
2 medium onions, finely chopped
4 large carrots, finely diced
1 medium turnip/rutabaga/swede around 1 1/2 to 2lbs in weight finely diced*
6 medium potatoes finely diced
1 package dry onion soup mix
4 litre water
Couple tablespoons chopped fresh parsley; optional
salt and ground black pepper to taste.

Melt the butter in a large saucepan.  Add onions and cook over a medium heat for a couple of minutes.  Add the vegetables and continue cooking over medium heat for 5 minutes, stirring often. Add onion soup mix and water.  Bring to boil and simmer for 15 - 20 minutes.  

Using a slotted spoon, remove half the vegetables.  Blend what is left in the pan until smooth.  Add the reserved vegetables back into the pan, along with the parsley, if using.  Season to taste, reheat, serve and enjoy!!

* People call rutabaga, turnip and swede by different name's.  This is the type of vegetable  I used we call it a rutabaga in Canada:

I used the onion soup mix, to give the soup more flavour.  You can just use vegetable stock if you want.

And finally in the hopes of it one day being above freezing I am again posting a Summer type video just in case Mother Nature decides to read my blog and decides to take pity on me!!!


18 comments:

angela said...

I love Mrs brown. So much so that I started the Mrs Browns boys australian fan club page on face book. And that soup recipe sounds very yummy. Can't wait for the weather to change and I can make more soups again

Kaisievic said...

Hi Gill, yummy soup! In Australia we call that a Swede, a turnip is whitish with a pinkish skin.

Evelyn said...

love Mrs. Brown!

Rustic Pumpkin said...

I love Soop ~ I make it several times a week. You've used several of my favourite ingredient too!
Thanks for stopping by my journal {aka blog} it is so lovely to meet you!
~~~Deb in Wales

EG CameraGirl said...

The soup looks good and is perfect for the kind of weather we've been having.

Piece by Piece said...

The soup sounds good.
Love Mrs. Brown, want to see her movie if it comes to Canada.
Hope you are feeling better today.
Patricia

Rose said...

That video is hilarious! And the song is a great choice.

William Kendall said...

My parents would make a week's worth of soup at a time, particularly in winter, and have it at lunch time. I'm sure they've had one quite like this.

Country Gal said...

We love Mrs Brown lol Sounds YUMMY ! Oh for sure soup and stews are lovely for the cold days . Thanks for sharing , Have a good day !

Country Gal said...

P.S and lots of cups of tea to lol !

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

The sooop sounds wonderful! We've had some rain showers today and soup would be nice! Stay warm in these frigid temps! Sweet hugs from down South, Diane

The Joy of Home with Martha Ellen said...

Hi Gill, We love soop at our house! I make it quite often--yours looks delish! Thanks for stopping by my blog! ♥

Anonymous said...

We don't really use rutabaga any more in France as it reminds people of wartime but I adore turnips (which we call navets). That soup looks delicious though ; stay warm ! x

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

This is a new soup recipe for me...they are so many, but personal recommendations are always appreciated, so may have to try this one.

Winifred said...

Yes it's soup weather. Vegetable soup with all kinds of stuff in tomorrow & curry, parsnip & apple tomorrow. Very little bread though I'm trying to cut down! Well it's Ash Wednesday tomorrow so a good way to start the cutting back. I'll just nip out & have my last biscuit wit a coffee before the clock strikes midnight!

DeniseinVA said...

I am a big fan of Mrs. Brown, always hilarious. Thanks for the soup recipe. We call them rutabagas here too.

Scrappy quilter said...

I've never watch Mrs. Brown and when soup has potatoes in it, I just can't eat it. Funny how we are all so different.

Linda said...

Gill, your soup looks delicious! I love Rutabaga and often cook it and mash it with carrots, they go well together. I cook the Rutabaga for a long time (at least an hour), as the longer it cooks the sweeter it gets and I put a teaspoon of sugar in the water when I boil it. My mother taught me this, said that it takes the bitterness out and long cooking with a little sugar makes it less bitter. I love that "Summer Breeze" by Seals and Crofts, brings back great memories for me.

I am unfamiliar with your first video, but I am very familiar with some Britcoms including Mr. Bean, Keeping up Appearances (I love Patricia Routledge) and a few others.

Hotel Stay

First of all thank you for all your birthday wishes.  Each and every one of them was greatly appreciated.  The kids bought me/us an overnigh...