Friday, February 20, 2015

Some interesting facts and things for a Friday.......

Have you heard of an island called Tristan Da Cunha?  I hadn't either.  It's part of the UK’s Overseas Territory of St Helena, Ascension and Tristan Da Cunha.  I have heard of St Helena and the Ascension Islands.  This is the most remote inhabited island in the world, with St Helena being the closest place to it at 2,000 km away.  Wikipedia has a lot of interesting facts about the place including photos here.  Why I even stumbled across this was I was reading an article on Daily Mail Uk about St Helena getting an airport in 2016; you can read more about it here.

Do you know what my most popular posts have been on my blog? You'll have had to have been around a few years to know.

There are two that come up time and time again.  Back in 2008 and 2009 I did a series of posts about 50 + 1 Recipes for various fruits and vegetables.  The most popular of them are Blackcurrants and Carrots.  They are looked at on a daily basis.

50 + 1 Recipes for Blackcurrants

50+ 1 Recipes for Carrots

Now to be fair I know all the links don't work on these posts as it's been a while.  I was thinking of maybe doing a more updated list of each one?

I still look at the Home of the Week every week, here is the link to this week's.  I'll pass as it's overpriced at $2.35 million, and the concrete wall at the end of the street, will NOT muffle the noise, I don't care what they say!!

The Condo of the Week isn't much better to be honest; here's the link to that.  At $460,000 the price isn't too bad, but again the noise from the Don Valley Parkway will be a major nuisance and make using outside impossible, as that road is busy 24/7.

Now for those of us who want to live a bit of a fantasy life and own one of the top ten most expensive houses for sale in Toronto, this link is for you.  The prices range from a measly $14.6 million to $28.8 million; I know pocket change for some!!!

And finally here is a photo of Our Little Munchkin taken at daycare on Thursday.  She is back to being a happy camper, as she is feeling fine again.  She finishes her antibiotics on Monday, so we have bets on as to when she is sick again....I would give it a week, so the beginning of March!!

This is what the day care said:
    The Nora on the Bus Goes Up and Down! 
    Nora rode the tiny bus around the classroom this morning.




16 comments:

Lindsay said...

My daughter in law has just finished her postgraduate course on political geography. She spent two weeks on St Helena researching the reaction of the islanders to a runway. St Helena is a very difficult place to reach. She had to fly with the RAF and then a two day boat trip.

Angela said...

I remember when I was about 6, we had to pray for the people of T da C in church - there was a massive volcanic eruption, and the entire population was evacuated - all the way to the UK, because they were a British dependency. As a little child I couldn't imagine being uprooted and moved so far from home- and not knowing what would happen to your home once you had left it. Mum said they had their families and they were all safe, which was the important thing. Most of the people went back to the island 2 years later. The photos in the article you linked to make it look so pretty- those lovely coloured houses and beautiful scenery. I doubt I shall ever visit in person, but it is lovely to read about such places. Thanks for another interesting post! blessings xx

Fishcake_random said...

She's such a cutie!

Not keen on either home this time. Just something about them...

X x x

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the cute daycare photo - it was hard seeing her sick and unhappy last time!

I learned something new - was not aware of TdC island!

Shelly said...

Hi Gill, The Marie Kondo book is available on amazon.ca. I believe it is available for kindle and print. The print copy has risen in price by about a dollar in the last week(since Elaine at MFIT first started mentioning it)

Rose said...

Lorelei cannot seem to get totally well...her stomach was hurting her again yesterday.

I wondered if you would do the home of the week things again...will check them and the recipe lists out later. Trying to get ready to head down to hospital. Thankfully, it is only a few minutes away. But still below zero this morn so dread getting out.

slugmama said...

Never heard of that island before but it's curious that the 1st permanent settler was a yankee from New England. I did like the name he gave the place however. lolz

I wonder how much real estate costs there?

Jane and Chris said...

Yes, I knew about the islands,Chris has been to the Ascension Islands.
Happy to see that Nora is looking a whole lot better!
Jane x

Country Gal said...

I have heard about the Islands before . Oh she is a cutie ! I think I will stick with our little old farm house in the country any day over these monstrosities I am not one for all that modern look . Thanks for sharing , Have a good weekend !

Anonymous said...

That little girl is worth a zillion of those expensive houses and condos ! I'd heard about T da C but couldn't place it on a map though. Have a beautiful week-end, Gill ! x

Jane said...

I read about that island a while back - fascinating and beautiful but I don't know if i could handle its remoteness!

William Kendall said...

The munchkin looks happy.

Like you, I'd heard of St. Helena and Ascension, but not Tristan da Cunha

Holly Hollyson @ Full of Beans and Sausages said...

If you could do/have a 50! post about salmon (which I am trying to eat twice a day) then I would be super interested in reading it!

Rustic Pumpkin said...

I've heard of them, but know nothing about them. Maybe from some deep recess of my brain and reading about them in some novel? who knows!
Cutie little grand daughter!
~~~Deb

Linda said...

Thanks so much for sharing all these facts, Gill, I learned something new thanks to you. I also love the photo, how adorable! :)

Oh, and I am so happy that you enjoy the Princess Sassy Pants images that I share, I get a kick out of them. :)

Winifred said...

Now funnily enough I have heard of Tristan Da Cunha. I used to collect stamps when I was young & they had some very colourful ones.

I remember your 50 recipes series, some really good ones. Glad the little one is feeling better. You feel so helpless when they're ill. Nice to see her bouncy again.

Hotel Stay - Dinner

As part of our hotel stay the kids had booked us dinner, breakfast and afternoon tea. Here is what we ate at dinner.  Everything was spot on...