Monday, October 11, 2010

Happy Thanksgiving and a recipe........

A Happy Thanksgiving to all the Canadians out there.  It's Thanksgiving weekend this weekend.  We "celebrated" on Saturday as the kids came over.  We didn't have a turkey, I made chicken breasts, stuffed with cream cheese and spinach and wrapped in bacon.  Roasted potatoes (from the garden) and Caesar salad.  For dessert dd bought an ice-cream cake from Dairy Queen and I made Chewy Ginger Cookies (recipe below)

The following recipe is from a Better Homes and Gardens, "Christmas At Home By The Fireside."

Big Soft Ginger Cookies

Ingredients:

2 1/4 cups flour (plain)
2 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 cup margarine, butter or shortening
1 cup sugar (granulated/white)
1 egg
1/4 cup molasses (in Britain use treacle)
2 tbsp sugar (granulated/white)

Combine flour, ginger, soda, cinnamon, cloves and salt.  Set aside.

In a large mixing bowl beat margarine, butter or shortening with an electric mixer on low speed for 30 seconds to soften.  Gradually add the 1 cup of sugar and beat until fluffy.  Add egg and molasses; beat well.  Beat or stir in flour mixture.

Shape into 1 1/2 inch balls, then roll in the 2 tbsp sugar and place on an ungreased cookie sheet.

Bake in a 350 oF oven for 10 minutes or until edges are set and cookies are still puffed.  Let stand for 2 minutes before transferring to a wire rack. 

Makes 24 cookies.

*****  What I do or don't do.

I didn't add ground cloves as I didn't have any.  I didn't roll in the 2 tbsp of sugar; too much extra work for me!!!

I did chop up some crystallized ginger and added them; that's what the lumps are in the cookies.  I probably used around half a dozen pieces, and I buy it from the bulk food store.

Simple recipe that everyone loves.

The weather has just been glorious this weekend, and we still don't have the heating on, so I am setting a new goal of not having the heating on for another week.

The project for this weekend is putting a new garage door on the garage.  I should hopefully have photos tomorrow.

10 comments:

DeniseinVA said...

A little late but Happy Thanksgiving Gill. Sounds like you had a lovely time and the cookies sound delicious.

MyBulletinBoard said...

Looks like a wonderful recipe. Ginger without the snap! Turned sixty yesterday. Keep those chewy, soft recipes coming. I don't want to help my dentist retire.

Liz, The Republic

The Witch said...

Gill,
Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family. Just wrote out the cookie recipe and may bake them this afternoon. Have been craving a Ginger cookie for some time.

Jane and Chris said...

And a Happy Thanksgiving to you!
Jane x

chksnowqueen said...

Happy Thanksgiving Gill! We did our big meal with the family yesterday (Sunday). Always lovely to get together for the holidays. We do potluck, in that my three sisters and I all make parts of the meal, taking turns to host the gatherings. Will tuck this recipe away for the next one : )

bitebrands said...

hello, im indonesian, nice to meet u...

Piece by Piece said...

Hi Gill: Hope you are having a happy Thanksgiving day. Those cookies sound delicious.
Saturday my eldest Grand daughter got married, it was a beautiful day and a wonderful wedding.
This is a difficult weekend for me a lot of "firsts" by myself.
Going to work in the garden today (Monday) time to get some things put away, etc.
Patricia

Stephanie V said...

Happy Thanksgiving, Gill. Lovely recipe and almost identical to the one my mother used to make. The rolled in sugar was the best part to us kids but as an adult I think I'd like the addition of the ginger chunks better.

The Witch said...

Gill,
Just a update I made the Ginger cookies this afternoon and really loved them. I added extra ginger just because I love ginger!
They are very moist and still have a crispy outside edge. I did roll them into balls but I only dipped the fork into the sugar to press them down with. I will post pictures soon.
Thanks again.

Shirley said...

Happy Thanksgiving. Cookies look yummy. Do you have a recipe for the chicken?

Hotel Stay - Dinner

As part of our hotel stay the kids had booked us dinner, breakfast and afternoon tea. Here is what we ate at dinner.  Everything was spot on...