Saturday, February 4, 2017

Netflix.......

When we got the basement finished at the end of November last year one of the things we got was a "large" screen tv for down there.  In our case it's a 50 inch tv; dh thought he had died and gone to heaven having such a big tv.  Prior to that the largest tv in our house was 32 inches........which by the way I thought was fine.

About that time I was going over my Bell bill and decided things had to change with that as it was getting more and more expensive.  The kids kept encouraging us to get Netflix and drop down our tv package for a less expensive one.  One of the things that was stopping us was dh watches a lot of sports and Netflix doesn't have sports.

However for once I got a great person when I called Bell and he walked me through everything and we dropped down our tv package.  We upgraded our internet so we get unlimited internet and set up Netflix.  Dh is not 100% happy as he doesn't get as many sports/soccer/football games as he used to get, and we had to add to add back a sport channel for $20 a month for the British football season.  Overall though we are still saving about $20 a month.

We are enjoying Netflix and are plowing our way through Midsomer Murders and enjoying those.  Have to say we watch mainly the British shows but I have watched a couple of movies Eat, Pray, Love (ok movie nothing exciting though,) and Still Alice (such a sad movie, and I cried like a baby!) a couple which although have been out a few years I have never seen.

I hope one day to get rid of our tv package all together but the sports channels, especially the British football games are proving an issue.  If anyone has any suggestions on how to get those I am all ears.  As I am very technically challenged!!


11 comments:

Betsy said...

We've been trying to do the same thing. Unfortunately we're under a contract with the cable company until next April. We find ourselves watching more YouTube videos than anything else. I hope people have some ideas for you with the sports channel. My hubby doesn't watch much sports and I feel very lucky in that!
Blessings, Betsy

Anna of Mutton Style and Years said...

We have Netflix evenings. Once it's on we just run with it. Offspring is a great show. The Crown, Suits. Then there's scifi type like The OA, Glitch, Travellers,

sbjdncmls said...

So happy to see you are back! Hoping DH health improves as well as yours. I have truly missed your blog and I enjoy your book review blog too.
Here's a suggestion regarding cable cutting...Sling TV. We have Roku streaming boxes, all via the internet and love that we can watch what we truly prefer versus lots of useless channels. Once the initial Roku purchase is made, generally less than $45 (US), then use their free channels or pay for Netflix which we do, and pay for Acorn Media..all the wonderful Canadian, British and Australian TV on Acorn. After Roku purchase and internet which we use for our computers and my iPad, it's only the monthly cost of Netflix & Acorn. Sling is an available channel which allows you to pick and choose channels such as sports, HGTV, etc. Check it out. My friend's husband loves sports & they are now looking at Sling which allows you to customize and now are providing a short free trial. Good luck, Sonja

Jackie said...

I have been binge watching the BBC series Father Brown, a nice light crime drama.

Our youngest son bought us an Android box for Christmas a couple of years back. I love it as I can watch British drama that isn't on Netflix.

There is a way to get sports on this box, but I don't know how (you have to download a specific app) but I will ask Kris the next time he is down.

God bless.

Gill - That British Woman said...

thank you all for your help with this, I will look into all those suggestions and Jackie will look forward to hearing what Kris has to say.

William Kendall said...

What little television I watch these days, I tend to watch by computer, but that adds up to maybe seven hours a week, total.

Linda aka Crafty Gardener said...

We watch Netflix too, when the internet connection is fast enough!! One of the disadvantages of being on satellite in the country. Hubby would miss his British soccer too.

Joolz said...

I just got Netflix on my iPad and now need to coerce the hubby into purchasing a big, smart tv so we can have Netflix on that too.

I am currently enjoying The Crown, which I'm sure you'd like...

Did you say you're moving? I thought you'd just built your new home??

Evelyn said...

Welcome back Gill! I had the same dilemma a couple years ago. I was the only one watching TV and it was sports which I love. I did cancel Bell and haven't regretted it though sorely miss my sports. We don't watch movies so no netflix, hubby does online activities and you tube, youngest is a game junky and you tube. We don't have cable here and no fibre ops so streaming super slow when we are all on.

Karen said...

I love British programs! Finished THE Crown,My Old Lady, Quartet, The Lady in the Van, The Second Best Exotic Marigold Hotel, and of course the American series, Frankie and Grace.
Other than the odd thing on History or TVO I dont watch regular TV at all anymore.

Jane said...

LOL - I watch all the British shows too - they are just better quality hands down! I don't watch sports much so got rid of cable a few years ago. I have Netflix and also Amazon video which comes free with Amazon Prime. My daughter loves to watch sports but she is young and will go to a sports bar with friends. Saves me $$!

Hotel Stay - Dinner

As part of our hotel stay the kids had booked us dinner, breakfast and afternoon tea. Here is what we ate at dinner.  Everything was spot on...