Tuesday, February 7, 2017

Happiness and sadness


When I look at the colours in the photo above I think of Spring, Daffodils, Baby Chicks and Sunshine; which in turn make me feel happy. My apologies for the quality of the photo, but the lighting was terrible on Monday.

I knit one of the dishcloth's while watching a movie on Sunday afternoon; American Sniper.  Now prior to watching this movie I knew NOTHING about Chris Kyle and what he had achieved while in the U.S. Navy SEALS and during his four tours of duty in Iraq.

It was an eye opening movie for me and without spoiling the ending for anyone who has not seen the movie or read the story, I remember saying out loud, "OH!"  I was totally engrossed in this movie; and how these poor military men and women survive their tours of duty without totally cracking up is beyond me.  Being away for many months at a time seeing and doing what they do in war; then coming home to a "normal, happy life," must be so hard.

This of course brought on a feeling of sadness, however not only for the military but for the ordinary people who have to live in these war torn countries.  This topic can bring up many differing opinions in people and that is not what I want to debate here on this post.  

I do have one question though I was looking up on Google to see if there were any women snipers and nothing came up for the States but there were a few articles on Soviet women snipers and one in particular Lyudmila Pavlichenko.  A movie was made about her "Battle for Sevastopol."  Might be worth checking that one out.



4 comments:

William Kendall said...

I haven't seen the movie. I have heard of that woman sniper though. Quite a story. There's also a man named Zaitsev who racked up quite a reputation as a sniper in the Battle of Stalingrad.

Betsy said...

I understand your thoughts because I have had the same ones. How could you ever mentally survive those horrors and then expect to integrate right back into society? No wonder we have so many veterans with PTSD and with families who can't understand and end up breaking up. War. It's awful. And yet, it seems to get worse by the day. Thank you for the thought provoking post.
Blessings,
Betsy

barbara woods said...

sad story at the ending. I've read about him for a while

Jane said...

I watched that movie recently and struggled with the whole idea of "snipers" and picking people off one at a time. Not a happy movie by any stretch of the imagination!

Hotel Stay

First of all thank you for all your birthday wishes.  Each and every one of them was greatly appreciated.  The kids bought me/us an overnigh...