Friday, February 24, 2017

Learning something new

Would you believe I have been knitting now for nearly two years?  I am not an expert knitter, still haven't knit a pair of socks but I am a bit more confident than I was when I first started.

I still go to a sit and knit not every week, but a lot of the time and the last time I was there, a lady had brought in a pile of books that she didn't want and asked Angie to sell them and donate the money to charity.  So I had a look through them and picked out a couple including the one below, you can read more about the book here (it's an Amazon link).

What caught my eye was this poncho.  I remember having a poncho back in the 70's and thought it looked simple enough while trying out new to me stitches.  Did you have a knitted poncho back in the 70's? 
I did have a few issues, so turned to Angie for guidance, and this is where I learned something new and something so simple that you wonder why I didn't think of that.
The pattern involves purling two stitches together and then a yarn over.  I was getting mixed up with all of that, so Angie suggested I put in stitch markers everytime I did a pattern repeat so I could make sure I had enough stitches on my needles. 
Those stitch markers are a blessing it makes is so much simpler for me to see where I am.  I am quite excited to see how I make out with this.  The yarn I am using is Patons Misty, which is 48% acrylic, 32 % nylon, 10% wool and 10% mohair.  So it should be quite light to wear and pretty with it.  It is a pale green with a bit of beige in it, very Spring like.

I have to thank Angie for lending me her large stitch markers, mine are smaller and wouldn't fit around the 9.00 mm needles.

12 comments:

Betsy said...

It's beautiful! I think the pattern is lovely and the stitch markers are a great idea. I use them all of the time for the same reason. I did have a poncho in the 70s and I actually made myself a new one about two years ago. I love to wear it in the "in between" weather. Have fun! Blessings, Betsy

kate steeper said...

ive knitted badly for years and im convinced i wont get any better , i can knit a sock but never achieve a pair ...lol

mamasmercantile said...

It looks like an amazing book. I do remember ponchos they are making a comeback which is wonderful.

Evelyn said...

I would love to have a poncho! Yes i had one in the 70's but mine was crocheted

Bobbie said...

I'm a new knitter, too (less than a year), and I'm currently knitting a baby blanket with knit two togethers and yarn overs! I started the blanket probably fifteen times before I finally understood the pattern and I now have about 8 inches completed.

Wish I could figure out how to post a picture!

Jane said...

Yes to having a poncho but as my mom and grandma crocheted I imagine it wasn't a knitted poncho :)

Karen said...

I think I need a poncho for this wonky weather. I use loops of yarn for stitch markers. Contrasting colors of course.

William Kendall said...

Neat work!

angela said...

Can't wait to see it all finished and looking beautiful on you
Now that you have mastered knitting. Time to learn crochet! It's simple and I'm sure you will love it as much as I do
Well done you, xxx

Dee said...

My mother couldnt crochet so my older sister and i had knitted ponchos, some fancy looking pattern that she found. I guess my younger sister had one too but I cant remember.
I knitted one for my daughter about 8 years ago using a variegated blue wool and round needles.

Jackie said...

I did have a poncho back in the day. I noticed that they are making a comeback along with shawls.

Shhh, I have been knitting for close to 55 years (Mom taught me when I was 7) and I still have not knitted socks.... I keep losing the needles. I bought a sock loom from Michael's and am afraid to use it. I better get started on learning how though.

God bless.

Linda aka Crafty Gardener said...

That looks like a lovely pattern. I use stitch markers a lot and they sure do make repeat patterns easy.

Hotel Stay

First of all thank you for all your birthday wishes.  Each and every one of them was greatly appreciated.  The kids bought me/us an overnigh...