Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Glad to get yesterday over with, mind you the nightmare continues...........

Yes it was our 30th wedding anniversary yesterday, and thank you for all your good wishes but what a rotten day it was.

Betsy has been giving me problems over the past week.  Betsy is my car and you can see a photo of her here  As you can see Betsy is just over a year old, so Betsy shouldn't be giving me any problems at all, but she is.

It all started last Thursday.  I had to go to my monthly quilt club meeting, got in the car, went to start it, the car kept turning over but wouldn't start.  So called the garage, who called the tow truck.  When the tow truck driver came he tried the car and it started first time (rolling eyes).  So it was decided I wouldn't take it to the garage but just monitor the situation.  Drove the car Thursday afternoon and Friday morning.  Saturday night dh and I decided we would have a Subway sandwich, drove to Subway in my car, got the sandwich, came back to the car and turned it on and it did the same thing.  Luckily this time dh was with me, so he was a witness to it. Managed to get it going and brought it home.

Called the garage on Monday and they told me to bring it in on Tuesday.  We decided to drop it off on Monday afternoon to save me from having to wait for a ride.  Got in the car and yet again it wouldn't start.  We went to the garage as I wanted dh to explain things to them and arrange for them to have the car towed in.  Came back home and of course it started, so cancelled the tow truck and drove it to the garage.

Called them a couple of times on Tuesday and the car starts no problem and when put on the computer no faults have shown???  Told them to keep it today to see what happens, because unless it won't start they have no idea what to do.  Meanwhile I now own a car which is iffy to say the least.  I hate to say this but fingers crossed the bloody thing doesn't start so they can at least do something about it.

As it was a nice day on Tuesday I decided to tackle our "hay field."  It's growing so long and thick with all the rain we have been having that it took me forever to get it done.  I still had a bit to do when the tractor wouldn't go either forwards or backwards when I put my foot on the pedal.  It turns out I have done something that requires a new chassis in it, along with maybe a new gear box.  Which means I need a new tractor..................I could cry at this point.

The poor tractor wasn't made to cut five acres, and so we have been lucky it has lasted as long as it has.  That being said a new lawn tractor will cost between $8 to $10 THOUSAND.   There is little to no point in us buying a cheaper one, as it won't last any time.  As it is I have just spent $124 on the old one as it broke down a week or so ago.  We have a regular gas push lawn mower so I guess I will be using that to cut around the house, the rest will have to wait until we figure out what we are going to do.

We are reluctant to go second hand as we don't want to inherit someone else's problems and trying to find one at a good price and getting it home is also an issue.

Then the UV light alarm was going off last week, the bulb had gone for some reason; never happened before.  We have turned it off and ordered a bulb from Amazon.  Luckily I had enough gift cards saved up to pay for that.  It's sitting at the post office waiting to be picked up.  Meanwhile we don't have the well water going through the UV light system and that make me nervous.  As our fridge water filter needs to be replaced as well and just haven't had the chance to go and get one in Barrie.

When the tractor broke down, it of course broke down at the far end of the field.  So to cut a long story short dh had to take his truck down there and we had to tow it back to the house.  By the time we had fiddled on with that and talking to the garage about the car, I was in no mood to go out to dinner for our anniversary, however dh insisted we go.

For some reason I decided to call the restaurant we planned on going just to make sure we didn't have to make a reservation.  Turns out they are closed until July for renovations (SIGH)   So in the end we went for fish and chips as we were both fed up with everything.  Will say the fish and chips were good; they always are, but it wasn't exactly the romantic anniversary meal we had planned, or hoped for.

I sat and did the Sudoku in the Toronto Sun newspaper and dh sat and read the John Deere lawn tractor brochure while we waited for our meal. 

These things can only make us stronger, right?

12 comments:

Unknown said...

That sounds like the same problem I with my car a couple of months ago. To solve the problem, the mechanic had to reset all the codes. These newer cars are all run by computers now. It fixed the annoyance though.
Congratulations on you anniversary.... well done you two. Hugs Sue

Buttons Thoughts said...

Oh Gill I am sorry it seems everything always happens all at once but what bad timing for you.
Yes this stuff does make you stronger and at least you both got to spend sometime together. Hug B

Jane and Chris said...

Oh for crying out loud! Things always come at once. It has for us this month too. Car, tractor, chimney,Duncan (I'm sure there was something else too). At least it's not snowing, right?
Jane x

Boyett-Brinkley said...

It seems like we can't have one crisis at a time -- they always come in clumps. I am so sorry you had so much at one time and that you didn't get to enjoy your anniversary. Maybe a re-do?

laura said...

Sorry you had such a bad day Gill!

T'Pol said...

So sorry! But, in my culture they say bad luck happens in 3s so, the car, the tractor and the restaurant completes the 3 and you should be OK from now on for a good while. Does that sound relieving? Hugs...

Lena said...

Oh, Gill, I'm sorry your anniversary was not what you expected :( But that's why it's been 30 years for you - because life is full of unexpected :)

ChrisJ said...

These new cars are all computer run -- and you know what that means! Don't let any one tell you you put your foot on the gas instead of the brake!! That's what they told me then 3 years later that model car was recalled with accelerator problems!

Country Gal said...

Oh for pete sakes what a rotten thing to have all these brake downs and rotten luck . Papa's van did the same for a bit but when he took it in they found it was the starter . I do hope they find what the problem is and not cost you a fortune in the process ! At least you spent a day together so something good did come out of it . Happy Anniversary hope all gets better for you guys and runs smoothly !

Karine said...

SO sorry your anniversary turned all lemony :(

bonsaimum said...

Such is life. Congratulations on your 30th anniversary. :)

Rose said...

What a horrible time...now I have got to catch up and see what all else has happened. I sure hate having a new vehicle that gives trouble every time you turn around...have had two that did that.

Hotel Stay

First of all thank you for all your birthday wishes.  Each and every one of them was greatly appreciated.  The kids bought me/us an overnigh...