Thursday, September 15, 2011

Thrifty Thursday.........


One way I save money is by using other appliances rather than my regular stove/cooker. I just purchased a new toaster oven back in July and I wrote about it here. It has two shelves so I can cook two things at once; and as there is generally only the two of us it works a charm.

Another small appliance I cannot do without is my crockpot/slowcooker.  That is worth it's weight in gold.  It uses very little electricity and it cooks the cheapest cuts of meat until they are melt in your mouth tender.

I wrote a post a while ago about  the benefits of using a crockpot here. In that post I mentioned I put together a recipe book for the kids using the crockpot while they were in university.  If you would like a copy; it's on a word document, please leave a separate comment with your email address in it, I WILL NOT PUBLISH IT, and I will email it to you.

One of my favourite recipe books for the Slow Cooker, is the "Fix It and Forget It."  Lots of good recipes in there.

My other favourite money saving small appliance is the microwave. The carrot soup recipe I feature on my blog is a favourite of ours and is made entirely in the microwave.  I am lucky enough to own a couple of great Marks and Spencer's Microwave recipe books that I brought over with us when we moved to Canada.  Another recipe from one of those recipe books is sausage risotto, which is really tasty and one that only the British could love, Baked Bean Lasagna!!

Do you have a favourite small appliance in the house?

For more Thrifty Thursday post pop over to Angela's at Tracing Rainbows.

8 comments:

John Going Gently said...

keep em coming
this year we will all need to tighten our belts a few notches!

Angela said...

Sorry you are still having trouble posting comments. I've just linked this post to my blog

what a thrifty lot we are!

Rose said...

I really should use my crockpot more...will a cake pan fit in your toaster oven...and does it get hot to touch on the outside?

Jane and Chris said...

Earlier this year we bought a toaster oven, actually got it for free using store cards Chris had been given..bonus!
It only has one shelf but I can cram quite a lot in there...where there's a will, there's a way.
Jane x

Karine said...

I love my crockpot!!! Can't stand the microwave though, I only use it once a week on Monday nights to heat up leftovers before running out the door to my choir practice.

Mrs Bent said...

Hi Gill,
I love my slowcooker too and really enjoyed reading your post, very good tips x

Scrappy quilter said...

My favorite appliance has got to be my crockpot. I'm just getting use to the toaster oven I purchased because of your recommendation. The crockpot has saved me so much time and costs. Have a great day. Hugs

Lisa Burley said...

Hi Gill, please send me your crock pot recipe
Thanks
Lisa
Love your blog read it everday

Hotel Stay - Dinner

As part of our hotel stay the kids had booked us dinner, breakfast and afternoon tea. Here is what we ate at dinner.  Everything was spot on...