Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Carrot Soup...............

The other day me and dh called in at Tim Horton's for lunch, and had one of their soup deals, with the broccoli soup. Dh commented on how I hadn't made broccoli soup, or carrot soup in a while. As it is so cold up here at the moment, I figured now would be as good a time as any to make it and share the recipe with you. The original recipe comes from a Mark's & Spencer's cookbook that I brought over with us from Britain, it is now out of print. I have modified the original recipe over the years to suit us. Its so easy to make.

Ingredients:

1lb carrots chopped (I weigh these after I have peeled them)
1 large onion chopped (you could also add celery, but I can't stand the stuff)
4 cups of chicken or vegetable stock
1 tablespoon of marg or butter
1 teaspoon sugar
salt and pepper to suit



Put marg in dish and microwave on high for 30 seconds



Add chopped onion, sugar, salt and pepper. Now I only add a little of the salt and pepper as I use boullion packets for the chicken stock and they tend to be salty. Cook on high for two minutes, stirring once.



Add the carrots and chicken stock and cook for 20 minutes on high. Stirring a couple of times.



Now while this is cooking, it would be a good time to take out the garbage, wash the breakfast pots up and wash down the worktops, and maybe try and take an artistic photo of the geranium you are trying to get to root on the kitchen wondow sill!!! I think I have just had a flylady moment!!!!



Now back to the soup. Place soup in the blender and blend it to the consitency that you like. I have to blend mine in batches, as I have a silly blender, and I blend the living daylights out of mine, as I prefer not to have chunky bits in it. I also add half a cup of milk at the end to the blender to "wash" out any remaining carrot soup. You could add light or heavy cream or just milk. It makes the soup more creamy and it stretches it out a bit more. Also if you don't like a thick soup this is a good way of thinning it out.




So here you are a pot of carrot soup.



We will be having this soup on Thursday evening as I have to work on Thursday. I will put the breadmaker on, so when I get in from work, I'll pop the soup in the microwave, take out the loaf of bread from the breadmaker and be sat at the table in all of 10 minutes after I walk in the door..........once again being the perfect wife and mother..............I'm joking!!!!!!!

The original recipes calls for adding a couple rashers of bacon chopped, and added the same time as the onion, I prefer the recipe without it. I didn't have any chicken stock in the freezer, otherwise I would have used homemade stock.

I hope you'll try the recipe and enjoy it.

Oh and here is a photo of my clean kitchen!!

14 comments:

CannedAm said...

I have to try this! I've been trying different carrot soup recipes and so far none have done it for me. I will give this a shot!

Leah Spencer said...

I love how well worn and loved your soup "bowl" is. A sign of many happy meals. :)

Gill - That British Woman said...

I have had this bowl years, and its great, I use it to make soup in the microwave all the time.

I want to say thank you to you both for posting on my blog :.)

AmyK said...

You have an amazing kitchen!
I sure wish hubby liked soup, 'cause that looks delicious!

Gill - That British Woman said...

It was really good and there is enough leftover for my lunch. The smell of homemade bread was so good also.

Marylin Houle said...

Does this freeze well? Looks delicious!

Gill - That British Woman said...

Marylin, the soup freezes great. I have frozen it on many occasions, I would not put any cream in it though if you are going to freeze it. Pop the cream in if you are using cream when it has defrosted.

I hope you enjoy it.

Kimmie said...

Hi Gill...

This really looks wonderful...today is exceptionally cold here in CT. Maybe I'll stop at the farm stand and hook myself up with some carrots.

thanks
Kimmie
mama to 6
one homemade and 5 adopted

Mike Riggs said...

This post was the top return when I searched "What do I do with all these carrots?" on Google.

Don't have a microwave (our efficiency is severely lacking outlets), so I'll make it on the stove.

Looks delicious! Thanks for posting your recipe.

myfamilyinterests said...

lol I make this soup but with garlic on the stovetop. It was from a British weekly magazine for budget meals. called for a swirl of sour cream on the top with toasted pumpkins ..fancy for company. great for colds!
Martha

myfamilyinterests said...

lol I make this soup on the stovetop but it has garlic in it. It was from a british weekly magazine on budget company meals. adding a swirl of sour cream and toasted pumpkin seeds to make it fancy. great for colds too.
Martha

Angela said...

SO impressed by the clean kitchen. The soup look sgreat too!!!

loved the pictures which Jane has forwarded to me - you all look SO happy on the Big Day

blessings x

Anonymous said...

Have some very funny shaped carrots that I've grown so this recipe seems perfect - will give it a go!! Thanks Amanda

Anonymous said...

At first thought this did not sound that good. After harvesting our kids carrot crop and making this recipes with heavy whipping cream... all I can say is WOW!!! One of the best soup ever.

Thanks from Colorado.

Terry

Hotel Stay

First of all thank you for all your birthday wishes.  Each and every one of them was greatly appreciated.  The kids bought me/us an overnigh...