Sunday, May 25, 2008

Menu Planning..........

I have just added a menu plan for the week list on my blog.

Planning a menu for the week, not only saves time, it also saves money and helps you not waste food.

Ideally you will plan your weeks menu before you go and do your grocery shop, as that way you can incorporate any food items that need to be used up first. Also having a menu plan means that when you get in from work, you look at the plan and know what you are making. Also make sure to check the plan before you go to bed so you can double check what you need to pull out of the freezer, and it can defrost overnight in the fridge, and remember that saves you money on hydro as it keeps your fridge cooler.

There is nothing worse than having to throw out food that has gone bad. Infact there was an article in today's Toronto Star that highlighted how much food is wasted and thrown out each day. They also quoted journalist Jonathan Bloom who is writing a book on food waste. His blog has some interesting things on it, that is well worth checking out.

Our menu this week, is high on the dairy side of things, as I have two cartons of Egg Beaters that expire later in the week, so that is why we are having the omelet and quiche. I will also have scrambled eggs for my lunch a couple of days this week. Also I want to use up some skim milk, as we're not keen on using it in our tea, cooking with it is the best way to use it.

You will find over the weeks that we generally have a vegetarian meal at least a couple of times a week. We're not big meat eaters, especially me. I don't mind eating meat, I just don't feel I have to eat meat every day of the week.

I know last week we had Mac and cheese one night, carrot soup another night and I made the Crockpot Falafel from the Year of Crockpotting Blog. So we ate three vegetarian meals last week. The Crockpot Falafel meal was pretty good by the way.

So try and plan a menu for a week and see if you can stick with it. It will save you time and money in the long run. I have tried menu planning for two weeks and I have had success with that, but have not tried menu planning for longer than that.

No comments:

{{{SIGH}}}

Tuesday was a mixed bag type of day. Had the appliance repair guy come again to install another circuit board in the fridge.  When hubby got...