Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Coronation Street and a Book Review

Good news/bad news regarding Coronation Street.  It is now on an hour per day Monday through Friday, so in theory we will sort of catchup with Britain at long flipping last.  Bad news, actually more like sad news, I had tears flowing down my face last night, as it was Jack's funeral and poor Tyrone was so upset.  I think the whole of Jack's death was handled so well.  We are now close to the end of November 2010, and for those of you in Britain yes I do know what is going to happen next!!  I "peek" at this site every week to see what's going on!!! 

"The Doctor's Lady," by Jody Hedlund
Priscilla White knows she'll never be a wife or mother and feels God's call to the mission field in India. Dr. Eli Ernest is back from Oregon Country only long enough to raise awareness of missions to the natives before heading out West once more. But then Priscilla and Eli both receive news from the mission board: No longer will they send unmarried men and women into the field.


Left scrambling for options, the two realize the other might be the answer to their needs. Priscilla and Eli agree to a partnership, a marriage in name only that will allow them to follow God's leading into the mission field. But as they journey west, this decision will be tested by the hardships of the trip and by the unexpected turnings of their hearts.

Loved the book and the character's.  Priscilla was such a strong character and you can't help but want to encourage her to never give up.  I will say I felt her pain in one part of the book, as any mother would.  Sorry I can't say more but it would spoil the story.  It was interesting to learn more about the native Indian tribes and the struggle to cross across America by land.

I was interested to read in the Author's note at the back of the book, that this is based on a true story of Marcus and Narcissa Whitman  If you love history, with a little romance added you will love this book.

Stars out of 5: 4.5 loved it just wished the book was longer.  Couldn't put it down.

"Book has been provided courtesy of Baker Publishing Group and Graf-Martin Communications, Inc.

Available at your favourite bookseller from Bethany House, a division of Baker Publishing Group".

10 comments:

Clippy Mat said...

Jack's funeral was sad wasn't it?
I checked out your fascinator for the wedding and I loved it. Also copied your shoppers drug mart info for future reference as you always seem to do well there and I mean to shop more wisely using their points. so thanks for tips.
:-)

Boyett-Brinkley said...

How are you watching Coronation Street? BBCAmerica used to show one of the UK soaps and doesn't anymore and I haven't figured out how to watch them! Getting a little tired of Top Gear and Gordon Ramsey!

Karine said...

We all have shows that we get so involved in that we feel like we know the characters personally! I have cried watching TV shows more than once, I'm just always happy when my Sweetheart isn't around to see it, it's bad enough when he sees me cry at the movies!

Jane and Chris said...

OOh, Corrie is set to get really exciting soon!
Jane x

Jackie McGuinness said...

I balled my eyes out at the funeral and also the night Jack died, seeing Vera with him was heartbreaking!!!

Loving having an hour of Corrie BUT it is making me rearrange my dinner chores.

I, too, know what's going to happen but won't tell my husband no matter how much he asks me!!

Kim said...

Aw Jack died? I only catch Coronation every once in awhile now - did the actor really die?

I haven't started on any these books yet, will start today.

Boyett-Brinkley said...

Well, that is just not fair == BBCAmerica needs to rethink their programming here -- I feel a letter coming on! I am sad, I feel so left out!

DeniseinVA said...

I haven't watched Coronation Street in years, on the odd trip back home. I don't think we ever got it down here. Not that I ever came across it anyhow. Thanks for the link. It was fun catching up on all the old characters that I knew way back when. Another good book review.

EG CameraGirl said...

Ha! You peek ahead!! Whatever will you do when Canada catches up? :))

chksnowqueen said...

The new Coronation Street schedule has me of two minds; it is great that we are catching up, but it means twice as much to watch each day, and if I miss the shows and want to catch up on the Sunday recap shows, that will mean 5 hours showing, rather than two and a half. That is a bit much LOL!

Jack's passing was done very well, but I am sorry to see another vintage character go. Lovely to see the actress that played Vera again. I always loved their banter and bickering. I saw both actors years ago when they did a shopping mall tour in Canada and they were just lovely people.

How is your foot healing by the way? And your son?

Christine

Hotel Stay - Dinner

As part of our hotel stay the kids had booked us dinner, breakfast and afternoon tea. Here is what we ate at dinner.  Everything was spot on...