Saturday, May 16, 2009

What I was up to at the acreage on Friday.........

Well I have decided Friday's are a busy day on the acreage, as I have a routine that I like to stick too, and on a Friday I change our bed, clean the bathrooms and do laundry. Then I do what ever else needs to be done. Since moving here, for some reason I end up with two huge loads of laundry, therefore two huge piles of ironing. I have now started to go grocery shopping on a Friday as we are generally busy on the weekend.

Also as the weather was fine on Friday, that meant I had to tackle more of the grass cutting. I am pleased to say as of Friday night, only Kamikaze Hill and amongst the raspberries is the only thing left to cut. However, I still have all the edging to do and I did make a start on using the regular lawn mover where the lawn tractor won't go.

I have a horrible sinking feeling by the time I have got it all done, it'll be all to do again!!!! I actually did something bad today, I ran over the lawn in front off the house with a really low blade, so basically scalped the lawn, only in the hopes I won't have to cut it for a while!!! I know that isn't the answer but we have rain forecast for Saturday, so it won't do it any harm.

Also come to the conclusion, when the weather is nice, I have to be in the garden trying to stay on top of it all. When the weather is bad then I get my housework done.

My friend "K" popped by today with a quote for the windows and doors. He has got the guy organized to come by the beginning of next week to do the roof. Told dh about the quote and he called "K" to say it was too expensive. "K" left a message and has managed to reduce it by $700, so I am a bit happier now. Still a pile of money, but its a job that has to be done. The family room windows and the patio doors have been in since 1974, so I think they have paid their way, don't you?

As I said I have started to go grocery shopping on a Friday. As I had ran the freezer down I am having to stock up again. So once again the grocery bill was over $100 :0( Still the freezer is starting to fill up and I have enough bread for a month now in there.

One thing I do know that since we have moved to this house the days just fly by. I get up in a morning, then before you know it, it's supper time. I love it, and I love where we live!!!

7 comments:

stitchersanon said...

That is exactly what we do. When it is nice, we are outside, when it is not, we work on the house. It really is the only way you will get stuff done and keep on top of it. We still have loads to do even though we have been here a year, but we have cleared about two thirds of the field and are growing what we want. And that is what I have been waiting to hear...you love it where you live!
Standards change..they have to with old houses, but you will get there. What is the rush lol

Lib said...

Hi Gill,
Living the Simple life is hard work but You have to Love it to live it! You have to be very organized as you are to make it work so well!I am so Happy to hear you're Loving it!
Have a great wk.end!
Blessins',Lib

Scrappy quilter said...

We do the exact same thing too. We have cut down our Friday shopping though to once a month. Gas prices have gone up here again and it's an hours drive one way to the city so we've gotten pretty good with our shopping. If we run out of milk, fresh veggies we shop in the next town over when we do music lessons.

Yard work gets done when it's sunny, inside work when it's raining.

Like Gaynor, I'm so happy to hear you love it where you live. Once all your work is caught up, it's going to be so much fun to relax and enjoy it even more.

btw - you found out the little secret. Yes, when your grass is all cut, you'll be starting all over again. It's the exact same thing here. Hugs..

DeniseinVA said...

So happy for you Gill, being in a new home there is always a lot of work to be done but at the end of the day it is all worth it.

Gill - That British Woman said...

thank you all for your lovely comments and words of encouragement.....

Gill

Jess said...

So glad you are liking where you live.

Hope all is well and that you have a great upcoming week

Love, Jess

Twisted Fencepost said...

That sounds like pure bliss. I'm glad you are loving your home!

{{{SIGH}}}

Tuesday was a mixed bag type of day. Had the appliance repair guy come again to install another circuit board in the fridge.  When hubby got...