Monday, May 25, 2009

I'm a country girl now!!!

I started my first fire in the fire pit on Sunday, and we didn't have to call out the fire department!!!

I read the instructions on the fire permit before I started the fire. I called the fire department to let them know I was starting a fire, and gave them my permit number (all this was left on the answering machine, as its a volunteer fire department.)

I made sure I had a hose by the fire and a bucket of water, as back up, and I supervised the fire while it was going. Now granted I smoked the area out, but it was no worse than when I barbecue......LOL However I think it was a great success, and we also burned some wood that we had on the rubbish pile, so that is a little less now. Plus dh has got permission to take some of the wood to work, so our rubbish pile is going down.

After supper I went and threw water on what was left to make sure there wasn't anything left burning.

In the afternoon I planted my three fruit trees, and used all the compost I got yesterday to part fill the holes. So at least they are going to have a good start. I then tackled the lawn AGAIN!!! It seems to not be taking as long to cut this time. I am hoping to get the remainder done today (Monday).

Dh got the mud room door finished and it looks good. So all in all it was a good day. HOWEVER, we found a mushroom growing in the mud room, which is NOT good, so not sure what's going on there. I put bleach on the area, but not sure what else to do?? Any suggestions would be appreciated?

10 comments:

Decadent Housewife said...

Maybe the mushroom was just from previous owners iffy housekeeping? Otherwise might be some dampness issues lurking - hope not!

MikeH said...

Where I grew up we could make fires outside if we liked. I do miss that. I expect the landlord might have something to say if I started a campfire in the car park, though. The new view looks lovely! Hope you're enjoying it.

Gaynor said...

just bleach and air it out on nice sunny days lol. It has obviously just been a bit damp in there...if you cant see any real damp problems and the surveys have come up damp free then just let the summer do its job. If you think there is a damp problem get someone in lol!

Bobby said...

Mushroom........
last time I had them in my old villa's jarb - I (insanely) scraped the whole mess and sprayed dettol solution on the area! Et voila!
bleaching does help!

I'm pretty jealous for you got a fireplace! :)

scrappy quilter said...

You might have some dampness issues lurking in your mud room. Not sure though, sounds like it might be.

Sounds so nice having your firepit going. Enjoy the lawn cutting. We're sending some rain your way. We are suppose to get 2 inches of it!!

Hugs..

Janeen said...

Yep, I agree, keep the area dry when you can as it's been a damp winter for ya! Enjoy your Monday and thanks for posting as often as you do. It's been fun visiting!

Gill - That British Woman said...

I hope its a one off thing, and the bleach will kill any other spores. The house smelled musty when we moved in, but that smell has gone now, so fingers crossed the mud room will dry out over the summer, as I don't see any patches of damp, nor does it smell damp?

Gill

Miss L said...

Sounds like you had a fantastic weekend. Sorry, I have no idea or advice to give you about the mushroom.

Denise said...

Can't give you any advice about the mushroom but on the whole a great weekend. Have an equally great week.

Vintage Girl said...

Good advice on the mushroom problem. Having an open fire is one of the wonderful benefits of living in the country. We enjoy our Saturday nights with a fire going and looking up at the stars...so peaceful. We are allowed to have a fire here as long as there is "something cooking" and of course we always have hotdogs cooking over the fire on a stick or marshmallows. Heather