Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Our Book Club reading list until September 2016

At our last meeting we chose the books for the upcoming year (and more).  So I thought I'd share with you our choices in case you want to read along.  If you click on the title of the book, it will take you to Amazon where you can read about it.

July: The Vagrants by Yiyun Lin - I have read and reviewed this book already here.

August: The Color of Tea by Hannah Tunnicliffe - I have read and reviewed this book here.

September: The Chaperone by Laura Moriaty

October : Olive Kitteridge by Elizabeth Strout

November: Ru by Kim Thuy

December: Lots of Candles, Plenty of Cake by Anna Quindlen

January: The Uncommon Reader by Alan Bennett (looking forward to this one)

February: The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah

March: The Virgin Cure by Ami McKay

April: Pomegranate Soup by Marsha Merhan - I have read and reviewed this book here.

May: The Children Act by Ian McEwan

June: Annabel by Kathleen Winter

July: All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr

August: Orphan Train by Christina Baker Kline

September: Memories of a Victorian Midwife by Charlotte Fuhrer

As you can see there is a wide variety of books and subjects that we are going to read.  This is one reason I like the book club, it takes me out of my comfort zone and I get to experience new authors and new subjects that I would not normally read.

If anyone has read any of the books on the list, please let me know what you thought?

14 comments:

Fran said...

Now here you go giving me more books to read especially when I am trying to get rid of some! Seriously these look interesting so I think my Amazon Kindle account may get a hammering xxx

Anne in the kitchen said...

Looks like a really nice year! My bookclub picks month to month, and since we are in Alabama our July book will naturally be Harper Lee's July 14th release, "Go Set a Watchman"

Andi's English Attic said...

An interesting list. Fleeing from the birth country seems to be a popular topic. I enjoy book lists. They bring to my attention books I probably wouldn't have heard of otherwise. I have noted down five of the titles here. Thank you for sharing. x

Gillian said...

I haven't read any of these books. I love to get really engrossed in a good book.

Evelyn said...

lots here I want to read. Only one I have read is the Uncommon Reader and I just found it strange. I couldn't get into the perspective of the Queen doing something so common if that makes any sense? lots of good choices!

Rose said...

I have not read a single one of these...I don't even see a familiar author. Except maybe Kristin Hannah, and I don't know if I have read one by her but know I have looked at books by her.

Maggie said...

Yep, that's why i love our book club too :-)

I haven't read any of your choices, me and my DH were talking the other day about how many different books there are out there, you can always find something different, if you compare lists with another person the chances are that you will only have a couple in common, if that.

My co worker doesn't read, ever, i find that hard to imagine and can't help feeling she is
missing out on so much!

Enjoy your books x

Plowing Through Life (Martha) said...

Sounds like fun. I haven't read any of these books. I'll have to check them out.

Craig said...

That's quite a list. I just downloaded "The Lost Child of Philomena Lee" after seeing the film "Philomena" and loving it so I want to read the book.

William Kendall said...

Quite a lot of reading. I have not read any of these.

Mylittlepieceofengland said...

I don't know any of them, it looks like a good varied choice though xx

Cat Lover said...

When we finally get back to normal here I will check out some of these books. Sounds like lots of interesting ones!

Jane said...

I LOVED Ami MacKays first book so I'll definitely be reading her new one! Happy reading Gill!

Bobbe said...

I just finished Kristin Hannah's book The Nightingale. I liked it. I also read A train in Winter by Caroline Morehead it's a true story about the French underground with women during WWII. They really tie together but I don't think it's a book club book.
I agree about book clubs forcing me out of my comfort zone. I also read the Orphan Train something I never knew about.

Hotel Stay - Dinner

As part of our hotel stay the kids had booked us dinner, breakfast and afternoon tea. Here is what we ate at dinner.  Everything was spot on...