Friday, July 17, 2015

Home of the week.

This week's "Home of the Week," is all about location and that is why it's $5.2 million. It's not for me, much too modern and I don't think the photos do it justice.  I do like the kitchen though, but otherwise I'll pass on the rest.

This week's "Condo of the Week," is also all about location and that is why it's $1.5 million, and for that you get the privilege of people looking at you from all the surrounding buildings.  Talk about living on top of one another.  It doesn't mention the monthly condo fee, but I am betting that is also quite high.  Even when inside it is nothing exciting, so again I'll pass.

This week's "Cottage of the Week," is as usual mansion-like rather than cottage-like and has the price tag to match at $4.9 million.  It's all very nice and I do like the black sheep on the front lawn, but it's not a cottage.  I am also "confused" about the decor.  I realize they want it to be cottage-like with some rustic touches, but overall it's very modern and I don't think it works.

Now back down to reality and Gill's "Cottage of the Week." is under $300,000 and you get an island as well as the property on it.  It is only water access, but at least you can say "I OWN AN ISLAND."  It's on Sturgeon Lake, near Bobcaygeon, so not miles and miles from civilization, and actually the property is quite nice.  The boat access would put me off a bit, as it does not mention mainland parking etc.  However if you want no neighbours and peace and quiet this would be perfect!

There are more "realistic" cottages here as well.

12 comments:

The Cranky said...

Much too grand for me; I'll stick with my idea of a perfect cottage, lol.

Linda aka Crafty Gardener said...

The prices of some houses out in British Columbia was mind boggling. We still think of a cottage as a wooden building with dividing walls that don't reach the ceiling and very much on the rustic side. :)

Jane and Chris said...

I want the bathroom in the House of the Week.Cottage of the week,please someone remove the red appliances. Gill's Cottage of the Week...buy it...we'd be neighbours!!
Jane x

Craig said...

I actually quite like the home of the week. It seems a happy marriage of modern and traditional. Just about $4.5M too much for me! I like what I assume are drop down storage bins under the upper kitchen counters - I've never seen that before - very clever. And $1K in taxes every month. Yikes!

slugmama said...



Of course there is the whole "Where will we live in the Winter?" thing to deal with.....but after the last couple of weeks and being fed up with neighbors here, that island cottage is looking quite attractive. lolz

William Kendall said...

The abandoned train bridge cottage in that last link looks quite different!

Betsy said...

It always amazes me when I watch HGTV and hear people say things like "I couldn't live with that, it's so outdated". or "too small", etc. It's amazing what you can really live without!
Blessings,
Betsy

EG CameraGirl said...

The cottage is much more my style than the home of the week!

Anne in the kitchen said...

I loved the cottage of the week, but I don't think it is a cottage really. Love everything about it but the price tag!

Cat Lover said...

I agree with you about the House of the week. The kitchen is lovely though. Gill's cottage is very nice. What I would call a cottage. Have a great weekend.

Jackie said...

Wow, those places are absolutely lovely (at least the kitchen). Wish the cottage was year round as sometimes I just need to get away from people. An island would be perfect for escaping.

God bless.

Winifred said...

Crumbs I don't like any of those properties. I don't do modern at all.

In the other more realistic properties I quite like the 1790s farmhouse.

Hotel Stay

First of all thank you for all your birthday wishes.  Each and every one of them was greatly appreciated.  The kids bought me/us an overnigh...