Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Anonymous said:

"You felt uncomfortable. Just be glad you weren't the one in pain. Pain makes people snappy. Sometimes you can't control even if you try. I'm sure she would have loved to have gone home I'm sure but probably couldn't afford to. It is not your place to tell her what to do. You said she tried to make small talk - perhaps in an effort to make amends- but you weren't interested. How rude are you? Everybody is having a hard time these days. Its only the grocery queue for heaven's sake. Not sure how life is in Canada these days but if that's all you've got to be upset about then I think I might join you and emigrate ;-)."

You are totally right, if that is all I have to complain about I should shut up.  You are right pain does make people snappy and I totally understand back pain being in pain with my back also for the last 10+ years.  You are right she probably couldn't afford to take a day off and maybe I shouldn't have told her she should go home.


BUT, saying that, all I asked her to do was turn a switch on her belt to move it so I could get the rest of my grocery shopping on it, so that if a customer came behind me, they too could get their groceries on it.  I wasn't asking for the earth, moon and stars.  All I wanted her to do was use a finger to press a switch.  I didn't deserve her reaction.


Also when she tried to make small talk, I did answer granted one word answers, but I did answer.  I didn't want to set her off again.


Could I have handled the situation better probably, but I didn't start this and I didn't think I was being totally unreasonable with my initial request.


I love how people post these critical comments under the ANONYMOUS banner and never put their names!


Anyhow, onwards and upwards onto better and more important things in life.  I have a dentist appointment to look forward to this morning....YEAH!!

18 comments:

Cat Lover said...

Oh joy,a dentist appointment! Not my favourite thing. Hope everything is fine. Take care.

The Cranky said...

It takes such courage to hide behind that anonymous banner... Perhaps the commenter was missing their saucer of milk?

Boyett-Brinkley said...

Oh dear. I don't know if it is the heat or just the times but something seems to be bringing out the worst in people these days. I was "yelled" at on a facebook post yesterday for something I absolutely did NOT say -- the reader was referring to my "implication" which I DIDN'T make. Your request was NOT unreasonable -- her reaction was, pain or no pain. She probably did need to work that day and she probably was miserable but the reality is she is in a service job and it her plight was NOT your fault and it was unfair to take it out on you. Was your reaction wrong? Well, I don't think so -- I would have been completely shocked had somebody spoken to me that way for no reason. Chances are the woman is rude whether her back hurts or not.

I am going to the dentist this afternoon as well. Not my favorite thing to do!

Paula said...

Good for you!! I just read that comment on the other post and wondered what you would do. I hate when people use comments like 'if that's all you've got to be upset about ' -as if you aren't entitled to be upset about anything that isn't catastrophic. Don't be in the service industry if you can't put a smile on your face.

Rose said...

I don't think your request to turn on the belt was out of line...and I am sure the guys ahead of you would not have minded.

Oh, I don't allow anonymous comments on my blogs...I was doing that to get away from spam. Never thought, but it would eliminate comments like this. At least if people wanted to say something, they have to own it.

Debby said...

My, My, people really are interesting :) I too have had nasty "Hits" on my blog in the past. Most of the time it has been directed towards our faith. I too would have been upset by the clerks actions, the anonymous comments.... as we say in the South "bless her Heart". I am trying very hard these days to keep calm and carry on with nasty customer service. Responding saying have a blessed day makes me feel better as I exit the situation, the look on the nasty persons face is priceless!!!

Jackie McGuinness said...

I someone has something to say they could at least have the dignity to sign their names.k
I would have reacted like you did.

William Kendall said...

Your anonymous commenter doesn't have the guts to sign their name. That speaks volumes of them as a person.

Plowing Through Life (Martha) said...

I still support your decision on how you handled it. You don't need to justify it.

Betsy said...

Whoa!! Since I've been "out of commission" for the past week I've obviously missed a doozy!!! I have noticed that the anonymity of the Internet brings out the worst in some people.
Hope the dentist visit goes well today.
Blessings,
Betsy

Craig said...

Give me strength. These self righteous anonymous comments! You were the customer and you deserved to be treated better. End of.

barbara woods said...

i think we need to change our settings so people can't leave rude messages

Maggie said...

Shame your anonymous commenter didn't have the courage to leave a name, funny that.

I think you did the right thing, no one should be made to feel uncomfortable, I would have found it difficult to make small talk after being huffed at too.

Hope the dental appointment goes well.

Unknown said...

It seems to me anonymous was rude to tell you that you were rude! As I said yesterday, I would have handled your situation differently, but I sometimes wish I was more assertive like you were. It was definitely poor customer service and not appropriate.
Hope you have an uneventful dentist appointment.

Jackie said...

Really, some people should just keep their mouths shut. Anonymous commenters are the pits. No courage.

You were not rude, you answered her politely, even if only in one word. Don't sweat it.

God bless.

Country Gal said...

If one has to remain anonymous then don't comment at all . There are just people who are miserable by nature . You were not rude at all I would have been with her attitude . Hey ya think the anonymous person and that cashier know each other lol ! Any who thanks for sharing , have a good day .

Country Gal said...

Nothing to do with all of Canada anonymous commenter and this blogger wasn't rude to the cashier either, all she did was ask her nicely to start the conveyer belt moving for her and the cashiers reaction was disrespectful . If you have ever been in the industry of retail , Grocery or sales you would know that in the end the customers are the ones who pays these peoples cheque so ya better be nice no matter what !

Theresa said...

Wonder if it is the same "anonymous"(although we know who she is)that likes to snark at Ilona. Canadians are not generally complainers so this cashier must have been a real treat.

Hotel Stay - Dinner

As part of our hotel stay the kids had booked us dinner, breakfast and afternoon tea. Here is what we ate at dinner.  Everything was spot on...