Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Happy Canada Day and Yarn Along.

Today is Canada Day and it's Canada's 148th birthday.  You can read more about how Canada Day came about here.  As dh is contracted out to a factory and they can't shut down the big mills mid-week, so they are celebrating Canada Day on Friday; he gets a nice long weekend, which I think is better.

I have a couple of small finishes for my Yarn Along post this week.

I made another baby hat for Hannah (dh's co-worker's baby), this time a slightly bigger size; I love how it came out so pretty:
I also made a soft toy using this pattern:
Now please remember I only started knitting the middle of March of this year.  I have a long way to go before I can really say I am a knitter, but for my first attempt this wasn't bad.  I used 100% cotton yarn and this is the father size.  I need to practice my hand finishing as that leaves a lot to be desired.  

Angie at The Knitting Basket made a great suggestion at the Tuesday Knit and Stitch to knit my next one on smaller needles so it is a tighter weave, and that way you don't see the stuffing.  So instead of using US# 6, I will probably use US# 4 or 4.5.  

I printed out the pattern and you will need pages 1 through 20 for the body and pages 2 through 9 for the hat.  It is super simple to follow, I had no problems and it is a pretty quick and easy knit.  I am going to try it with some worsted yarn in a smaller size and in purple for Our Little Princess as that is her favourite colour.

The blue and yellow one I am going to give to Our Little Munchkin, as it reminds me of a Smurf and the blue food colouring "incident"!  Do you remember that?  If not you can read about it here.

I am not reading any books at the moment, just too busy with other things.

For more Yarn Along posts with Ginny please click on this link.

28 comments:

Tania said...

For someone who is a newbie to knitting you are doing a fantastic job Gill. Love the pink hat and cute toy...You will get better at doing seams, practice makes perfect :)

HAPPY CANADA DAY!!

xTania

Kitty Greene said...

That's very pretty yarn, you are doing well.

Craig said...

I'm amazed at your skill level for being a novice. Very impressive. Happy birthday to Canada - she and I share a birthday!

Anna of Mutton Style and Years said...

I missed my Canadian colleague yesterday. She always baked for us for Canada Day

Betsy said...

Your hat turned out so pretty and I think those little dolls are so cute. I looked at the family of them and fell in love. I will definitely be printing out the pattern. Thank you for giving us the link. Our IndepencecDay holiday falls on Saturday this year so my a Hubby is also getting Friday off for a nice long weekend too. I hope you enjoy yours together.
Blessings,
Betsy

Gillian said...

Happy Canada Day. Your knitting is coming on very well. I always find the sewing up part to be the hardest.

The Cranky said...

Happy Canada Day! (And I think you're doing brilliantly.)

Stella Jones said...

Happy Canada day Gill. Have a great day. I'm very impressed with your knitting progress!

mamasmercantile said...

You certainly don't seem to be a novice, it looks good to me. Happy Canada day!

Unknown said...

As im writing my latest post my son is on the PC behind me watching a You Tube on pyro (fire works) and wouldnt you know it he was watching a program a few years old about fire works held in Canada on Canada Day. I turned to him and said, did you know it was Canada Day today? I had to show him your post to prove it to him. Such a co-incidence. So, i hope that you are enjoying the days celebrations.

EG CameraGirl said...

The doll turned out very cute! I think you can call yourself a knitter now. ;)

EG CameraGirl said...

Oh, Happy Canada Day. You get to celebrate two: today and Friday!

Cat Lover said...

Your knitting is terrific! Hope you have a great Canada Day.

Donna said...

Very pretty pink! I like how that turned out.

Heather said...

I love knitting those little gnomes! And have done several for my kids. I tend to make bigger ones as well as little ones. They are so cute and fun for them to play with!

Plowing Through Life (Martha) said...

Happy Canada Day!

LauraLillyLaura said...

Knitting is so much fun, so glad you joined the ranks. Your knitting is great for a newbie. Love the doll and hat.

Jackie said...

Happy Canada Day to you as well.

Love your little stuffy. So cute.

God bless.

Jane said...

Look at you go!! You have achieved a lot in just a few months - very impressed!

Rose said...

I am amazed that you could make that soft toy...I think you have took to knitting like a duck to water! And yes, I remember the smurf incident...

Rose said...

I meant to say that a lot of holidays are celebrated on a Monday in the US. Not Christmas or Thanksgiving...but several days: Memorial Day, Labor Day, etc.

It is nice since it gives people the three day weekend.

Cheapchick said...

Happy Canada Day! Your knitting is very good - a skill I don't have but maybe one day. Tell your hubby next year Canada Day falls on a Friday - much nicer.

Becki said...

Happy Canada Day! And I love that little soft toy. So sweet and squishy.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Happy Canada Day to you, Gill, and too bad it wasn't celebrated on a weekend so some working folks could enjoy as well. Nice cap and toy and your knitting talents are moving along.

Scrappy quilter said...

You are doing a marvelous job with your knitting. Great work!

Sarah said...

I think you get to call yourself a knitter! Those are such cute projects!! My daughters were peering over my shoulder while I was reading and they both requested a doll like yours!

angela said...

You are too hard on yourself. You are a knitter and a very good one. You should be pleased with yourself. Well done. Xx

William Kendall said...

Your knitting is coming along very nicely!

Hotel Stay - Dinner

As part of our hotel stay the kids had booked us dinner, breakfast and afternoon tea. Here is what we ate at dinner.  Everything was spot on...