Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Another couple of small finishes for Yarn Along.

I made another Gnome for a baby girl who is due in October.  I used US #6 needles and the yarn pictured in the photo.  It is pink with a light brown face.
 I also completed this newborn hat for the same little one.
Neither are perfect but they are made with love.

I did get the following two books read and reviewed this past week also.  You can read my reviews here.

I have started this book:
Award-winning writer Ntozake Shange and real-life sister, award-winning playwright Ifa Bayeza achieve nothing less than a modern classic in this epic story of the Mayfield family. Opening dramatically at Sweet Tamarind, a rice and cotton plantation on an island off South Carolina's coast, we watch as recently emancipated Bette Mayfield says her goodbyes before fleeing for the mainland. With her granddaughter, Eudora, in tow, she heads to Charleston. There, they carve out lives for themselves as fortune-teller and seamstress. Dora will marry, the Mayfield line will grow, and we will follow them on an journey through the watershed events of America's troubled, vibrant history—from Reconstruction to both World Wars, from the Harlem Renaissance to Vietnam and the modern day. Shange and Bayeza give us a monumental story of a family and of America, of songs and why we have to sing them, of home and of heartbreak, of the past and of the future, bright and blazing ahead. 

I picked it up for 99 cents, so at that price I couldn't say no.

For more Yarn Along with Ginny posts, please click on this link.

26 comments:

Anna of Mutton Style and Years said...

That Gnome is so cute. I'm reading Girl on the Train. I know everyone raves about it but I'm finding it, well, weird.

mamasmercantile said...

Beautiful gifts, the best kind...made with love.

Gillian said...

The gnome is so cute and I'm sure the wee hat will be very useful in October.

The Cranky said...

I would so buy at least a couple of those gnomes, if you were selling them.

Stella Jones said...

Your gifts are lovely Gill and I'm sure will be thankfully received. I bet you're beginning to wonder how you got along before knitting came into your life.
I read the review of the third book and thought it sounded interesting. I like reading about that subject. I am a fan of Sue Monk Kidd too.

Linda aka Crafty Gardener said...

I love the little gnome. You have progressed so far with your knitting, seems just a little while ago you were taking your first lessons. I've been doing some crochet and reading inside in the cool in the afternoons on these really hot and humid day.s

Elise said...

Gorgeous knitting, I love the colours you chose :)

Tracey ~ Clover said...

"Made with love" is what counts the most in my book and I think the gnome and hat look great. I adore baby knitting, everything is so tiny and sweet.

nocton4 said...

Lovely knits xx

Jenn Jilks said...

You are busy and accomplished!

Tiny Toadstool Cottage said...

Love your little gnome. And I will be looking for all those books - they all sound great.

Cat Lover said...

Love the gnome! Handmade gifts are the best.

Jackie said...

I really do enjoy your reviews of what you have read, they give me some new ideas for reading. Now just to hit the library sometime in the near future.

Such a great idea of knitting a pink gnome for a new baby girl.

God bless.

Suzy Mae said...

What sweet projects and interesting reads! That little gnome is so sweet :)

William Kendall said...

Quite a neat gnome!

Caffeine Girl said...

Why do we knitters worry about imperfections? No one but the knitter notices them! I'm sure your baby items will be loved.

Great book reviews. For some reason, I am more attracted to Rurally Screwed. I am always fascinated by people who completely remake their lives. Hmm...what does that say about me!

barbara woods said...

great gifts for a lucky girl

CathieJ said...

I love that little gnome. Made with love is much better than perfect.

angela said...

Wow your turning into super knitter. I thi k they are great!

Rose said...

You sure get a lot done...I love that little hat. The gnome is cute, too. I bet the baby will enjoy it.

Betsy said...

I love the little gnome. And the hat. You are a very talented women. Thank you for sharing your book reviews with us.
Blessings,
Betsy

Wisewebwoman said...

I'm working on some dishcloths with my house on the front of them. I must post them in my blog.

Finished a good book gobble but nothing in the stratosphere, just steady reads with a few issues, never more than 3/5.

Love the wee hat and the gnome.

XO
WWW

EG CameraGirl said...

The knitted doll is sure to be a big hit! And the hat is such a lovely shade of yellow.

Pom Pom said...

The gnome is very cute! Well done, Gill!

stitchersanon said...

I think they are perfect. Gorgous yarny finishes!

Lucy Bowen said...

I think they are both lovely and the baby will love them.

Hotel Stay - Dinner

As part of our hotel stay the kids had booked us dinner, breakfast and afternoon tea. Here is what we ate at dinner.  Everything was spot on...