Tuesday, January 31, 2012
Low (no) Spend Challenge and Decluttering Challenge for February
Carla is hosting this challenge and I thought I would like to participate. My answers are in red.
Here’s how the Low (no) Spend Challenge will work:
1. Choose a financial goal for the month!
I hope to stay under $75 a week on my grocery bill. That in itself will be an achievement if I can do that. I already added a little extra to our weekly mortgage payment last month so can't count that. I also want to add money into our savings account and will aim for an extra $200 for the month.
2. How will you achieve your goal this month?
By actually writing a shopping list and sticking to it. Using as many coupons where and when possible. Checking out the half price racks. Menu planning. Checking all the flyers and shopping for sale items.
3. How will you allot your spending this month?
I take a specific amount of cash out of the bank each week. Once that money is gone it's gone and we have to wait until the following week.
4. Track your purchases!
5. Are there any “exemptions” for the month?
- Do you have any previous engagements, birthdays, events, etc.. that simply won’t fit into the month? Then choose your exemptions & plan from there how you can still reach your goal!
We have five birthdays and a wedding this month. Luckily four of those birthday's are just birthday cards to be sent, but one is a special birthday and I will be purchasing a gift and it will have to be put on my credit card, as it's for a family member in Britain and it will be sent directly to them. The wedding gift is cash and I saved that up over a period of six weeks @ $50 a week. Yes a standard wedding gift now is $300 a couple, and I spent another $150+ on a Bridal Shower gift. Oh and Valentine's Day is on the 14th!!
I do need to buy dh a new shirt for the wedding, but hope to pay for it out of the money I take out of the bank weekly. Also I must buy dog food this month and that is $90 a sack that lasts around 6 weeks, have $50 put aside for that, so only need to come up with the other $40.
Here’s how the Decluttering challenge will work:
1. There will be 4 main challenges for the month. I pick the theme, you pick the challenge!
Week One: Personal Space Challenge
Our bedroom closets and drawers.
Week Two: Family Space Challenge
Living room wait until you see the before photos with that one!!!
Week Three: Productivity Challenge
Big one this week, is the kitchen cupboards.........
Week Four: The “Dreaded” Challenge
The ruddy old basement.......this is a big job!!!
2. Bonus Challenges!
- I will be giving you 4 *bonus* mini challenges throughout the month! Fast & easy to accomplish! Oh joy!!!!!
- Toss, sell, or donate 29 items! One item for every day of the month in February… Easy as pie!
This is one thing I need to do and should be a doddle to do.....
Now the only thing that will throw a spanner in the works is if I get my hand operated before my February 28th operation date. I am on the cancellation list, and if I get called I will go in and have it done earlier. That shouldn't affect my low/no spend challenge, but it could affect the decluttering challenge. Just thought I'd mention it.