Friday, March 22, 2024

Craft Club - need input from you.

On Wednesday it was another craft club meeting.  This month we were making paper beads.  Now this is something I have never done, but have enjoyed looking at in stores.

We were given this instruction sheet and we were to make a book mark or a key chain.  She had the fixings for both of those things.  She also told us what to do........which helped a lot.

She supplied a variety of old books pages and scrap book paper.  Now for anyone wanting to do this, the thinner the paper, the easier it is to roll up.  If your paper is thicker, you probably need to roll it up twice to get it tight enough.  Magazine pages would work really well as well.
She supplied us with a piece of pool noodle and toothpicks to pop the beads in to dry.  I wrapped the paper around the cotton bud stem which you can see in the bottom of the photo.  She also suggested the thin end of a paintbrush.
When you have rolled up your length of paper, you attach the end with a dab of glue and then using a paint brush cover the whole bead with Mod Podge and place onto a tooth pick to dry.  They don't take very long to dry.  These are some of the ones I made.  Five were made with scrap book paper and the far right one with book pages.

We all found it quite therapeutic to make these.  I thought I would struggle with my hands, but I rolled them not in my hands but with the paper placed on the table.  A couple of the other women copied that idea and found it helpful.

So this is where I would love your input.  I neither want a book mark or a keychain, or jewelry.  Do you have any other ideas on what else I could use these for, as I really do like the look of them.

There are a number of how to videos I included a shorter one for you to look at.


Also good news, I am already registered for the April one...YEAH!!

8 comments:

Joy said...

They're lovely. My immediate thought was beads for lace bobbins but I think they might be too light.
How about dangly bits on a macrame fringe? Or some sort of decorating fringe on something?
Not great ideas, I know, but I do like the beads. I might make a pair of earrings. xx

Angela said...

A slightly larger one might look good on a light-pull cord, or the pull cord of a window blind. Jewellery - necklaces and earrings. I have a lovely pink pair my daughter gave me. Made from a magazine page, they are a lovely pink colour. Made in reds, greens and gold, you could make dangling ornaments for a Christmas tree. I really like the idea of a pool noodle as your working stand!

Patio Postcards said...

I think add to a Christmas ball would jazz it up, adding a personal touch or strung together to make a dangling Christmas decoration. Maybe an indoor wind chime ...

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I was going to suggest a necklace but I see that Angela already has. I've seen decorators drape strands of beads artistically falling out of a bowl which might be an idea.Combine them with little flags to make a bunting?

Maggie said...

I have a necklace made from these paper beads, I wondered how it was done so thanks for sharing.

My Piece of Earth said...

Love the beads, that is something I have never done.
Larger and longer ones could be made into a basket or a cover for a plant pot. Also, Angela's idea of Christmas ornaments is a good one.
Let us know what you decide to make, look forward to seeing it.

Jackie said...

How about as wine charms..

God bless.

Nancy said...

Since you like handbags, how about making zipper pulls for your zippered handbags.

{{{SIGH}}}

Tuesday was a mixed bag type of day. Had the appliance repair guy come again to install another circuit board in the fridge.  When hubby got...