Tuesday, March 26, 2024

Back when I was working

outside of the house, Sunday's used to be when I cooked meals for the upcoming week.  Haven't thought about that in a while.  It made life easier for when I came in from work. 

On Sunday I prepped a few things to take us through the week.  From left to right.  Apple and strawberry sauce, garden salad, potato salad, boiled eggs and couscous and chickpea salad.


I did a rough puree of the apples and strawberries, I like a chunky sauce, we will have that in individual bowls with a tub of yogurt on the top.  I made enough of the potato and couscous salad, so hubby could take it in his lunch bag for work.  

I went to Costco on Monday as hubby really liked this bagged salad I got last week.  I was shocked as it's Dill Pickle flavour, not something he normally likes.  However for $7.99 for two bags, I thought it was yummy and great value for money.


They also had cans of salmon on for $13.99 for the six cans which is a super price.  I am going to make a big batch of fish cakes to put in the freezer.  I got a 10lb bag of potatoes in my produce bag the other week, so need to use them up.


Canned salmon is not something I buy normally, but I do like it in fish cakes.  I remember when I was a child, we would go to my aunt's house and she always made canned salmon sandwiches.  She used to mix the salmon up with salt and vinegar.  My mam never normally made them, but her sister always did.

Do you use canned salmon, and if so what do you make with it?

7 comments:

angela said...

I will use it in a salad for a quick summer lunch but I don’t often buy it.
We like it fresh or smoked
I always cook extra and then have containers of frozen meals for when im not well or im out all day. It’s such a great time saver

Linda said...

I do use canned salmon. I love it. I make salmon croquettes and just eat it straight from the can. I do not eat out of the can! I eat it just as it comes from the can. I hate fresh salmon! I suppose fish cakes are what you ate and salmon croquettes is what I ate and are probably the same thing.

Linda said...

I meant to say that I love Taylor salads.
Practical Parsimony

Joy said...

Very rarely but I agree that it does make lovely fish cakes and it's nice mashed with mayo in a sandwich or roll. xx

My Piece of Earth said...

That is a good price for salmon.
I use it in sandwiches and also in a salmon loaf, the recipe for it, is in the diabetic cookbook I used for late hubby.
The salt and vinegar added to salmon for sandwiches is what my mother did, I do it that way for myself, and with mayo for family.

Not a fan of couscous.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Resident Chef sometimes makes salmon fish cakes but I prefer it in sandwiches the way you describe. As a kid I always wanted to eat the bones and have to say I still like them. Weird, probably!

Karen said...

My Irish-Canadian mother used to make the salmon sandwiches with vinegar and salt and pepper too. Not my favorite. I quite like it with a bit of real Hellman's mayo.

{{{SIGH}}}

Tuesday was a mixed bag type of day. Had the appliance repair guy come again to install another circuit board in the fridge.  When hubby got...