Saturday, August 22, 2009

WOW....101 followers, that's amazing; and other odds and ends

I can't believe it 101 people are now following me. I want to thank you one and all; I feel honoured that you would take the time out of your busy days to pop by. I would ask one thing though, please feel free to comment and give me any suggestions that you would like me to write about.

I am sure I have mentioned our mail lady before. She has been delivering the mail for 54 years, and she is a super lady. I also mentioned her and her husband came over to pick some raspberries. Well on Thursday she popped in with three cucumbers. So I decided to make the "Award Winning Cucumber Salad" recipe that was featured in my 50 + 1 Cucumber recipe post.
I have to say it was really good and will make it again.
She also gave me an African Violet that she had grown from a leaf. She obviously has a green thumb, as it is so healthy.


One of our big news story is the nasty weather we had on Thursday afternoon. We had a couple of tornado's touch down and dh saw the back end of the tornado in Vaughan, as he was just leaving work. We managed to miss the worst of it on The Acreage and only had a couple of small branches down. The biggest inconvenience for me was the satellite went out while Coronation Street was on. Sadly though 44 people have lost their homes in Vaughan due to the weather and one person was killed, see here for more details.

12 comments:

Deborah at Kilbourne Grove said...

Gill, I am happy that you missed the storm. We are leaving Toronto this morning to check on our house in Owen Sound. The storm two weeks ago, took down 2 trees, which we will now be cutting up for firewood. I would rather have the trees, though, they were lovely old and majestic. Our property backs onto the Niagara Escaprment, (kitty corner), so we see lots os trees there. But it is not like your own.

Clippy Mat said...

we were lucky that it passed us by too and the bit that we experienced which was bad enough didn't leave too much damage.
:-))

Niki said...

Terrible storm. We didn't get anything much in Eastern Ontario.

I've made a note of that salad, and have just posted my favourite Cuke Salad recipe, give it a try, it's delish.

I didn't know you could grown an african violet from a leaf cutting!

Have a great weekend
Niki

Linda said...

Wow, I remember when it was around 50 and the post you did then. Well done!

Winifred said...

My that's wonderful, fancy being a postie for 54 years.

We have a different one every few weeks now and I never get to see them. They just stuff the post through the door and off they go.

I assume there's a fast turnover unless they just keep changing their routes.

Glad you had no storm damage. Never mind I assume you can always catch up with the Corrie omnibus edition.

Karine said...

I'm glad to hear that the worst of the storm missed you! Southern Ontario sure has has some crazy weather this summer!

Scrappy quilter said...

Gill I was thinking of you and wondering how close you were to those tornadoes. Another friend was pretty close too. I'm so glad you guys are okay. We watched the news and it's not pretty.

Our summer this year has been just unreal. I'm thinking we will all be glad to have fall come.

Congrats on the 101 followers. Hugs

Patty said...

Beautiful violet. I have three, but they aren't looking too good at the moment. Glad the storm missed you.
Have a great week-end.

http://graceolsson.com/blog said...

Gill, u are right to miss the storm
Have a nice sunday, Gill
graceolsson.com/blog

DeniseinVA said...

Very glad to hear you missed the worst of the weather Gill. Sad about all those people losing their homes and tragic to hear someone was killed. We get tornado warnings every now and again. We also got a lot of rain last night and a steady drizzle this morning, which we badly needed.

To get onto a happier subject, you've got a good friendship going with your post lady. That's great. The cucumber salad looks wonderful and I will have to try that recipe out one of these days.

david mcmahon said...

Great news about the 101 followers.

Hadriana's Treasures said...

Fabulous about 101 followers...that's fantastic!

Sorry to hear about the tornado...I always think of "The Wizard of Oz" when there's talk for tornados. Goodness knows what it is like to be in the eye of one. I'm not sure I want to find out. I also noticed there was another Durham. Fancy that!

Hotel Stay

First of all thank you for all your birthday wishes.  Each and every one of them was greatly appreciated.  The kids bought me/us an overnigh...