Monday, August 3, 2009

Busy Sunday and Molly........

We were super busy on Sunday. My dad came over to put together the book shelves he had made in his workshop for us. What is really interesting is that he made it from old barn board that we had on the property. I wish I had taken a photo of the boards before my dad took them, as its hard to believe it is the same wood. He planed and sanded it. I remembered to sort of take a before photo:

I then stained it with Minwax's English Chestnut stain.

I wanted to practice on the shelves before I stain the stairs the same colour. The shelves are around 6 feet wide and around 6 feet high. I need to put a couple coats of varnish on them, and then I can unpack my books. I am so pleased with them, my dad did a super job didn't he?

Now for our Molly, we can't believe how well she has settled in with us. I got an old comforter and folded it up on our bedroom floor and told her to go to sleep and she lay down on the comforter and fell asleep. I had to get up to pee at 2am Sunday morning, so she had to go out as well at that time, and she was up by 5:30am.

She has explored all the house and all the nooks and crannies. There must be some mice in the wood pile as she is super interested in that. Plus there must be some under the deck, as she is super interested in that area as well. She didn't find any in the attic and didn't find any in the basement...........lets hope she can catch the mice...that would be a bonus!!!

I had her tied up out the front while I was hoovering out the van and car, and again she found something very interesting under my car, so she now has oil on her nose. She got out of the house without her leash on, and didn't run away, so that's a good sign. However we normally have her on a leash when she goes outside, as her nose distracts her all the time....LOL

Here she is flaked out in her basket, she had better sleep through the night!!! You would think I was talking about a baby, not a dog!!

Dh got a lot done on the electrics on Sunday. He has a lot to do in the attic with the electrics, and while he has the floor up he can sort the electrics out in the bedrooms and the bathroom....he should have the lights back on, on the landing on Monday. So all in all Sunday was a productive day.

10 comments:

Evelyn said...

awww what a sweet dog. watch beagles, they will run unexpectedly.
lovely shelf!

Scrappy quilter said...

She is such a beautiful dog. Glad she is settling in so well. That's great news.

Is there anyway you can get an outside cat to catch those mice under the woodpile?

Love that bookshelf...awesome job!!

Patty said...

Shelves look great. Yes your Dad did a wonderful job.

As for the pet, believe me, they become apart of the family and you end up treating them like they are a kid. I know.

Anonymous said...

What a cutie!

Beautiful shelves too!

mommanator said...

Molly is so pretty I bet she wont fit in that basket for long by the looks of her!
The bookcase is beautiful and I am sure you will cherish forever!

Anonymous said...

Oh Gill I've missed your blog! How wonderful about your new addition to the family!

I'd love to meet up when I'm in Canada.

Thanks for the lovely comment on my blog!

The Good Life in Virginia said...

your dad did a fab job on those bookshelves gill. and i like the stain you are using on them ;)
ahhh, look at sweet little molly. she seems to be adjusting to you.

DeniseinVA said...

Molly is a real sweet little dog by the look and sound of it Gill, and she is very lucky to have found a loving home. As for your Dad's bookcase, he's done a wonderful job of them, how talented he must be. You did a great job of staining too. By the way, I thought that stonework behind the bookcase was lovely.

DeniseinVA said...

p.s. forgot to say about Molly but I read once that looking after a dog is like looking after a five year old child :) When all's said and done I think she's going to be a super addition to the family.

Clippy Mat said...

Molly looks very cute. I'm sure she'll be a great addition to the family.
;-)

Hotel Stay - Dinner

As part of our hotel stay the kids had booked us dinner, breakfast and afternoon tea. Here is what we ate at dinner.  Everything was spot on...