Sunday, July 12, 2009

Busy day on Saturday, doing nothing!!!

Well not exactly nothing, but not getting anything much done around the house.

We headed to Creemore first thing as we had to pay a deposit for the stairs. They have a Farmers Market and we popped by, but I have to say I was surprised at the prices, they were pretty expensive. I know the produce was organic, but paying $5 for a bunch of organic carrots was a little high if you ask me. I did pay $4.50 for a loaf of garlic, chive and cheese bread, and yes it was yummy.

There was a British lady selling home baked goodies, including scones with strawberry jam and cream at $2 per scone??? As dh said to me, you should do that and I agree. I had a home based baking business in England, and I love baking, so I may look into this.

I called in at the Curiosity House Books & Gallery to purchase the September book club book, "The Secret Scripture," by Sebastian Barry It looks like an interesting read.

I am still plowing through "Animal, Vegetable, Miracle," by Barbara Kingsolver. It's not a lighthearted read and you do need to be concentrating on the book as you read it. I have just read the chapter where she talks about Genetic Modification of the seeds, and how 6 companies control 98% of all the world's seeds, and how important heirloom seeds are. Which actually makes sense, as nothing tastes better than local homegrown fruits and vegetables, and the flavour of an heirloom variety of a fruit or vegetable has a completely different taste to a mass produced fruit or veggie.

We came home and had lunch at home, then popped into one of the towns to go to Home Hardware, dh's home away from home!! Plus I had to go to No Frills to pick up a few groceries. When we got home and I had unpacked the shopping, we then went to the other town. This time I wanted to go to Canadian Tire to get a canning pan and jelly bags, as I want to try and make Blackcurrant Jelly. I need to do something with these blackcurrants, as its a waste to just leave them on the bush.

When we got back from there, friends popped by to pick some raspberries and have a visit. They brought a coffee cake with them which was nice and we had a catch up. Infact the dh is going to help us with the stairs, which will be a great help. Me and the dw picked some raspberries for her. I really enjoy their company, and they are a pleasure to be with.

So all in all we had a lovely day, and dh rested his shoulder, but we didn't achieve a lot around the house. I do know Sunday will be completely different as we have a lot planned for the day!!

10 comments:

stitchersanon said...

It is nice to get a day out and escape the chores!
I led into the home baking business, but honestly, by the time you have covered the costs of your ingredients, energy and time it takes to cook, unless you have a huge indusrial stove and buy ingredients in bulk, you never reallmake a profit. then you have the charges for the stall and the hygiene certificate you need.
Good luck in your attempt though..shame to waste all those natural ingredients you have on your doorstep. You could look into blackcurrent jam! Yum! My favourite!

Evelyn said...

good luck on looking into the home baked business. Once you get a clientel you should do well but it is another thing to add to your already busy day. The local farmers around here jack up their prices too, they are catering to the tourist trade, things are so much cheaper at the superstore imported from ontario! I once asked the price of strawberries, it was twice the price of that in the store, the farmer said "but theya re locally grown". I never understood why we pay almost 7 dollars for 4 litres of milk when we have milk cows up the road from us.

Winifred said...

Well Gill your idea of doing nothing sounds exhausting!

I can remember a woman who had a stall at out local art mart and she used to make all kinds of jams, chutney etc She gave it up to make hand made chocolates and made a lot more money from that. Got any cocoa beans growing?

My mind is boggling just thinking about what you have planned for a busy Sunday!

MikeH said...

Sounds nice. But the real question is, were they PLAIN scones? ;)

that british woman s brother said...

glad you had an easy day of it read mine i didnt
nick

Andrea said...

I absolutely love your blog and I read it faithfully every day. It is my morning ritual along with my cup of coffee, lol. Have a great day!

Canadian Saver said...

It sounds like a great day!

I find prices high at the farmer's market also... I can't buy as much as I'd like or I'd double my grocery bill... but I tell myself it's fresh and local and healthy!

Let us know how the blackcurrent jelly turns out!

Scrappy quilter said...

I agree with Gaynor, it's nice to have a day of escape. Glad you took one.

There is a lady at our Farmer's Market that sells jam for $3.50 for the small jam jars. She is always one of the busiest at the market.

fizzycat said...

Yum, jelly, scones must bake some soon.Going to look for some heirloom seeds to use next year.Different varieties that breed true, are a welcome change from the one year wonder seeds of the f1 genration.

Patty said...

Sounds like a perfect Saturday to me.

{{{SIGH}}}

Tuesday was a mixed bag type of day. Had the appliance repair guy come again to install another circuit board in the fridge.  When hubby got...