Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Remembering........

When I was visiting blogs, Randomosity had a youtube video of The Proclaimers.  Do you remember The Proclaimers?  I think their most famous song is this one:



I love their music and I think I know all the words to 500 miles.  The Proclaimers are Scottish and I am English; our accents are completely different despite what a lot of people think.  However when I sing along to this song I develop a pretty good Scottish accent I think, which I think is very funny.

As for remembering, back in 1988 The Proclaimers were performing a gig at a place reasonably close to where we lived in England, called Kendal.  However we had booked to come over to Canada for a week for dh to find a job and to double check we wanted to come and live over here.  Although bummed because I couldn't go and see The Proclaimers, no regrets at making that trip to Canada, as it was the first step in coming over here to live.

Then this will make more sense to the Canadians out there.  The government has finally caught up with me!!  I still have the red and white health card. Got a letter in the mail a couple of weeks ago to go and get one of the new ones.  As it has your photo on, it has taken this long for me to feel and look human again.  So off I went on Tuesday to get it done; so I am guessing every five years I have to get it redone?  I liked the red and white ones as they had no expiry dates on them.

Was in and out the office in under five minutes and at least half of the time was spent talking about our Ford Fiesta's both the lady in the office and I own!!  Got to love small town living.

I went to knitting also on Tuesday and left early as I was so tired.  So due to that fact I did not get an opportunity to catch up on everyone's blogs sorry.

For Shelley here is a link to the fish cake recipe.

19 comments:

Anne in the kitchen said...

I have a Proclaimers cd that lives in my car. Whenever I start a car trip I put it in and listen to 500 miles, but my favorite is their cover of King of the Road. The vocals on it are so tight.

The Cranky said...

You made the right choice, but it would have been tough to miss out on the Proclaimers! Craig commented and said they'd made a film of 'Sunshine On Leith'.... I'd love to find it, he said it's really good.
Thanks for the mention. Glad you're finally feeling better!

Evelyn said...

Gill not sure what you mean by red and white card? we don't have that here

Stella Jones said...

The Proclaimers were on our breakfast TV the other morning and they look just as good now as then. Amazing sound! It must have been such a big step moving to Canada from Kendal area. I'm glad you didn't regret it.
Glad you're feeling a bit better now.

Plowing Through Life (Martha) said...

500 miles! I love that song. And when I play it, I play it over and over and over again.

Gillian said...

I remember the Proclaimers and that song in particular. I can't understand how anyone could not tell the difference between a Scottish and an English accent! Kendal is lovely. We've visited there a few times while staying in the Lake District.

Jane and Chris said...

That song never fails to make me smile. I do it with a Scottish accent too...we were living in Scotland in 1988!
Jane x

Paula said...

Colin still has the red and white health card too. At least it's still in one piece, same can't be said for his SIN card. But there is no big worry. Even if you don't have your card, the hospital will take care of you. They just don't let you leave until you pay or get your card straightened out.

Ella love I'm Gonna Be and I'm on My Way -both are in her Shrek movies. That and I'm making sure she loves the good music (70-80's) and not Bieber :)

Cat Lover said...

My Mom had one of the old cards up until a couple of weeks ago too. They must be catching up with all of the old cards. The Proclaimers are great! Glad you are better.

Unknown said...

As an American I am kind of clueless about your post today! But I have heard the 500 miles song. I have been looking for recipes that I can make ahead and freeze. The fishcakes sound perfect. I am going to try them. Glad you are finally feeling better.

Little Red Hen said...

I still have a red & white health card. It's cracked and the magnetic strip is so demagnetized that they have to key the numbers in rather than swipe but I ignore the notices I get to replace it. I do this because I don't know how many times nurses and receptionists tell me to hang on to it. For some reason, they prefer the old ones to the new.

Paula said...

Marilyn K, as you probably know Canadians receive universal health care. Meaning we can go to the doctor and the hospital for 'free'. We used to have things called OHIP cards in Ontario, they were replaced by the red and white health cards. These prove we are Canadian/Ontario residents and entitled to health care. To stop fraud they introduced new health cards with our pictures. They are still working on the stragglers like my husband who don't have the new security enhanced cards.

Rose said...

Your video would not play...went to Randomosity and hers would...their voice did not sound familiar, yet the title of yours does. So it leave me wondering...will try to poke around later and look for a version they have not blocked. (Your version was blocked in my country)

Glad you are feeling better...

I have often wondered how you ended up in Cananda...figured I was being too nosy. You could make some good blog posts out of that.

~Carla~ said...

Yes, I used to love them! Still do! :)

Gail said...

What a wonderful story. I know the song but copy right did not allow it to play.

Thanks for visiting.

Betsy said...

I don't remember that particular song and I don't know much about your health cards in Canada but if it's anything like our insurance here in the states...yuck! The new cards seem to always have an error on them, so they send new ones. With yet another error. And on and on. No wonder insurance is so expensive! lol
Blessings,
Betsy

DeniseinVA said...

Happy to hear you are feeling better. I don't remember the Proclaimers but I do know that song.

Craig said...

I think that 500 miles could almost be the Scottish national anthem, so popular is it here. They are the only band I've ever heard who sing with Scottish accents which makes them unique. As J said, I highly recommend the film of Sunshine on Leith and the Proclaimers make a cameo appearance in the first 5 minutes of the film! I'm a fan of Kendal too. We usually take a trip to Ambleside every autumn.

Anonymous said...

Love that song! Will have to watch Sunshine on Leith.

Hotel Stay - Dinner

As part of our hotel stay the kids had booked us dinner, breakfast and afternoon tea. Here is what we ate at dinner.  Everything was spot on...