Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Yarn Along - May 27th 2015

I haven't done much in the way of knitting this week, but I have learned a couple of things.  I bought the Spring 2015 issue of Simply Knitting.
 In it was this free flower brooch kit.
I figured I would give it a go, despite the fact it had a couple of abbreviations I knew nothing about.
Luckily my mam mailed me this booklet she got free from the Daily Mail newspaper in Britain.
Discovered:

sl means pass a stitch from left-hand needle to right-hand needle as if to knit or purl without working it.  Who knew? Don't see the point of this, but did it all the same.

M1 means a knit wise increase (same as inc.)

yo means yarn over; where you make a new stitch by placing yarn over right hand needle.

s2kpo means slip two stitches from left-hand needle to right-hand needle, one at a time, knit the next stitch and pass slipped stitches together back over the stitch; which in turn forms a left leaning double decrease.
Luckily there was a page in the book that showed me a step by step on increasing, as I wasn't sure about that.  Plus by reading over the abbreviations and meanings a couple of times I managed to understand what they were trying to say.
I have read this great book this week.  Well worth the read and I have just ordered the sequel to it as it was that good.  You can read my review here.
If you want to see more knitting goodness please visit this week's Yarn Along:


23 comments:

Summer said...

Great Knitting Gill, you're a fast learner!

The Cranky said...

Love the knit brooch, it would be perfect on a hat or scarf!

Maggie said...

A knitting pattern can look like double dutch when you first look at one, I've tried reading a crochet pattern though and that's like trying to learn Chinese, lol.

Be careful of the M1 and increase though because even though you are increasing by doing M1 that involves picking up the loop in the middle of the 2 stitches on the needle, whereas increasing is knitting twice into one stitch. (tell me to shut up if you already know this, I only mention it because it took me ages to realize and I wish someone would have pointed out the difference it makes).

Not much crafting going on here either, too busy with wedding and holiday preparations.

Kitty Greene said...

Well done Gill - you're getting there.
Soon the abbreviations will be second nature.

Julie said...

Sounds like you're learning fast - I imagine there's always more to learn with knitting! Juliex

Plowing Through Life (Martha) said...

You've come such a long way! And you're certainly enjoying this.

Linda aka Crafty Gardener said...

If you come across a knitting term you don't know you can always Google it and see the explanations and frequently a video explanation. The best way is to jump in like you are doing and learn as you go along. Good luck with that little brooch kit.

EG CameraGirl said...

You are progressing vey quickly, methinks! It's hard to believe you - not so long ago - wondered if you would ever learn to knit.

Tiny Toadstool Cottage said...

The brooch looks lovely. Simply Knitting is a great magazine, but very expensive by the time it gets to the newsagent in Australia!
Pomegranate Soup is a lovely book - read it a while ago and loved it.
Happy knitting!

Shirley-Ann said...

If ever I come across a term or technique I'm not sure of it's off to Youtube for me. There is always someone who has put a great tutorial online. I also have a knitting dictionary which has proved to be helpful in the past.

DeniseinVA said...

Great tips for novice knitters. I like the look of that brooch. Very pretty!

Unknown said...

There'll be no stopping you now! The way to learn something new in knitting is to try it. I love Google and you tube for extra help when I need it. The brooch looks fun.

Betsy said...

The brooch kit looks lovely. The abbreviations for different countries always stymies me too. Same for crochet. Is it REALLY a SC or is it a DC?
Blessings,
Betsy

mamasmercantile said...

The brooch looks wonderful, I have the simply crochet magazine on subscription it works out so much cheaper.

Pom Pom said...

I've been knitting for SO long and I still have a mental ? when I come upon some of the abbreviations!
I love Simply Knitting. Way to go, knitting something kinda hard like the brooch! Applause!

William Kendall said...

That's going to keep you busy.

Cat Lover said...

Your knitting is great! You have taken to it so quickly. I will look for Pomegranate Soup. Always love a good read!

Jane said...

You are making real progress with your knitting - well done! I look forward to seeing the brooch when it's finished!

Scrappy quilter said...

You are making huge progress with your knitting. I'm very impressed.

Anne in the kitchen said...

I am also impressed with how quickly you have taken to knitting. I don't have a brain that is so inclined, so I just don't get how people take to it so quickly. But I continue to try and have made countless whompyjawed scarves.

karen said...

nice knitting and seems that you are having fun :) That is half the battle!!!

Lucy Bowen said...

Well done for figuring it out. I had that little book from the Mail when I first started too!

Rose said...

It is all Greek to me, and I don't speak Greek.

Hotel Stay - Dinner

As part of our hotel stay the kids had booked us dinner, breakfast and afternoon tea. Here is what we ate at dinner.  Everything was spot on...