Wednesday, July 3, 2013

A little more about the kitchen......

When we were out and about on the weekend we called into Lowes and picked up one of the light fixtures to try out in the kitchen.  These are the ones I want and they were even featured in the "This Old House" magazine July 2013 issue on page 38.

Now we cannot put up a back splash until we have had the upper cabinets redone and that won't be happening until September.  I have been on the lookout for tiles though.  I love the look of Subway tiles, like we did in the laundry room here:

Dh isn't keen on having them in the kitchen.  So I found these mosaic tiles.  I am not 100% convinced, but do like them.  Just a little worried they may be a little dark.  They work out to under $6 a sheet, one foot square, so they are a good price.  The glass mosaic tiles which are all the range would look much too modern in our kitchen.
We are having the kitchen island picked up this week to get painted so will show you that when it comes back.

7 comments:

Aodhnait said...

I'm a big fan of subway tiles but I also like your mosaics - I very much like that size of mosaic.

Aodhnait said...

I'm a big fan of subway tiles but I also like your mosaics - I very much like that size of mosaic.

Jane and Chris said...

I would be bothered about trying to keep them clean.
Jane x

Paula said...

I've recently saw tin ceiling tiles used for a back splash. Very pretty! I love subway tiles in a bathroom.

Rose said...

I really like the lights...like the tiles, too...I think the tiles would look good, but like you think they might be a little dark with the counter as dark as it is, and BTW, have I told you I love that counter? It is gorgeous.

Karine said...

This Old House Magazine! I should totally subscribe to that for my new place! I'm with dh, I prefer the darker tiles to the white ones! They will be much more kitchen friendly as any splatters from food won't show us much. I can tell you from having white tile in my apartment kitchen for the last three years that you are forever wiping it off because everything shows on them!

Anonymous said...

Now I am wanting tile in my laundry room :)

{{{SIGH}}}

Tuesday was a mixed bag type of day. Had the appliance repair guy come again to install another circuit board in the fridge.  When hubby got...