Tuesday, January 23, 2024

Craft Class

 Our local library holds a free monthly craft class.  There was spaces available for the January class so I signed up.  As I am writing this, there are no spaces available for the rest of the months 😞

This month they were making a mobile.

Now what you need to make the mobile are the following:
  • 2 paint stirring sticks, you can get these at your local DIY store
  • paint
  • small hook
  • glue stick
  • glue gun
  • paper
  • thread or clear fishing line
  • scissors
  • pencil
  • four small beads or wooden discs for the bottom of each string to weigh it down
We used leftover scrapbook paper and pages from old books that were going to be thrown out.  Cut out your paper shapes.  Make sure you have an equal number of shapes per line, so that it will balance out. 

Paint your paint sticks whatever colour you want and if you are using the wooden discs do the same.  

Put your weighed disc/bead on the end of your thread, then glue your paper on the line.  I then went back and put another circle on the opposite side to cover up the thread.  I also made sure mine were the same space apart on each of the four lines.

Using a glue gun, glue the paint sticks together in a cross, making sure it's in the true middle otherwise it won't hang straight.

With a glue gun, stick on each of the lines of shapes on the paint sticks.  Again making sure each one is in the correct/identical space; so it hangs straight.

You will need to put a small round hook in the centre on top of the paint sticks so you can hang it up.  I also put paper circles where I had glued the lines to the glue sticks.
As I didn't want to put a hook directly in my ceiling, I found these command hooks which work the same and won't damage my ceiling.
If you google how to make a mobile, there are lots on the internet with a lot better instructions than I gave.

It was a fun afternoon which I thoroughly enjoyed.  I was told to check in at the beginning of each month to see if spaces had opened up for the next session.  Hopefully I will be able to join another class.



6 comments:

angela said...

Libraries are fantastic for people who are looking for something to do and meet new people I hope you find a place in the next month

Joy said...

That's lovely and a bit different.
I do hope you are able to get to another few classes. xx

My Piece of Earth said...

That is really nice, great job.

What will be the classes in the coming months, hope there is an opening for another one you would like to attend.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Looks like a fun project! Perhaps the library should have a waiting list for people to call if a space opens up?

Jackie said...

Oh how fun. I must check and see if our library does the same type of thing. I know our art gallery does, but those fill up so very quickly.

God bless.

Sharon said...

That sounds like a fun class. Hopefully there will be some openings. Maybe in the summer when people are having their holidays there might be some cancellations.

{{{SIGH}}}

Tuesday was a mixed bag type of day. Had the appliance repair guy come again to install another circuit board in the fridge.  When hubby got...